Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickett SP overnight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennemanns
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Pickett SP overnight Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm currently working on planning my first trip on the Trace other than the occasional crossing in the Red River Gorge. I'm planning to start at the southern terminus at Pickett SP and have been using Johnny Malloy's Sheltowee Trace book and Deaver, Smith, & Duncan's Hiking the Big South Fork as references.

I was originally planning on camping at the Thompson creek andRock creek junction at 5.7 miles as mentioned in the BSF guide on page 205. However my wife doesn't think my five and seven year olds can make it 5.7 miles on day one. My next choice for camping is the site mentioned on page 102 of Malloy's Trace guide at 3.5 miles. He calls it "a small campsite shaded by hemlocks just to the right of the trail", which makes me nervous that it may be too small for my family of four and another couple that may be possibly joining us.

To make a long story short has anyone ever seen or used this site? How small is small? Are there any recommendations for other sites in this general area, 3 to 4 miles in on the trail?

Thanks in advance.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 3.5 miles, the Hidden Passage Trail intersects with a one-half-mile spur trail that leads to Double Falls. This is a huge campsite and will easily handle your group. If you want you can hike over to Double Falls.

IMO the 5.7 miles may be too much for your kids but then again I don't know if they are use to hiking that far

Dennemanns
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reassurance on the size of the camp site. Do you happen to know if the double falls trail goes down to Rock Creek or does the trail only overlook the falls? I'm hoping that even with the current drought conditions that I will be able to filter water from the creek.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have gotten a lot of rain so water shouldn't be a problem. The creek runs along the site where you will be camping. I am pretty sure the trail to the falls only goes there and not down to Rock Creek.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: