Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Trailcheck 2012
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Trail Update Reply with quote

Received today - 5/11/2012

News from Andy Niekamp, a STA member, who is thruhiking the ST.
Thoughts in ( ) are the STA's response.

"The trail from Koger Arch to Yamacraw Bridge has lots of growth and blow downs. It was tough going in this section." (THIS SECTION HAS BEEN CLOSED MOST OF THE WINTER DUE TO HIGH WATER. ON THE LIST FOR WORK IN JUNE. CAN YOU HELP!)

"Mud slide just before Big Creek just before you leave Big South Fork. About 10-15 feet of the trail is gone. We had drop down about three feet into the mud to cross under the former trail. I don't have any photos as I just got your note yesterday.

There are some major blowdowns on the switchbacks just before Harley Coffey Road before US-27 around mile 44 mile. We found our way through. There is a confusing side trail used by locals at the blowdown that leads you away from the Sheltowee Trace.

The one mile section of trail from the SR-700 crossing to the SR-700 road walk north of Indian Creek is overgrown. It was tough hiking and I got cut up on briars. I would have hiked around this stretch if I had known how bad it was. This section seems driveable with a tractor and bush hog. "

(IF SOMEONE DOWN THAT ONE HAS A BUSH HOG AND WANTS TO HELP, PLEASE LET US KNOW. IF NOT WE WILL NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS DOWN IN THE NECK OF THE WOODS TO GET IN THERE)

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Trailcheck 2012 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: