Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern Terminus (sections 4-5) Trail updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodyfx351
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Northern Terminus (sections 4-5) Trail updates Reply with quote

Completed these 2 sections this past Sunday. Started where we left off at the end of section 3 (right off HWY 799) and took the 1st right onto the gravel road, right past the I-64 bridge. Section 4 was a fairly easy hike along the gravel road. After the 1st 1 or 2 miles the trail took off sections into the forest that helped to by-pass the gravel road's numerous cutbacks. This is where we ran into a lot of briers and thorns. We took care of a lot of the thickets but could not get everything. A follow up crew might be required in those sections along the gravel road (Forest Ridge Rd) After reaching the connecting trail Martin's Branch Trail, we got a little delayed due to the numerous trails that intersect in that area, some better tree blazes might be beneficial in this area. This marked the end of section 4 and onto section 5. Section 5 was by far the hardest section so far (considering we only did sections 1-4 at this point) This section crosses 3 sets of power lines and stays along the ridge most of the trail. The hardest part were the numerous straight ups and downs, literally taking you up then back down again. They would not have been so bad if we didnt already hike 6.1 miles and had to finish up the 5.9 miles in section 5 + some of section 6 to make it to our parking location (Lowes&Kroger parking lot on 32). The actual trail was clear and smooth, with great trail blazes and no downed trees. We even met a couple of boys from Morehead State University that joined us on the connecting trail (Eagle Lake Trail). At the end of this section when it comes to HWY 32 there seems to be a big confusion there. As you near the road you can look down to the valley on your left and see a large open digging area of some sort. As you follow the trail along the ridge there seems to be 2 paths that you are able to take. Left trail takes you down into the dug out (mining area) and the right takes you up a hill. We chose to take the left trail because there was a newer blazed tree with the plastic white diamond and black turtle on the tree. We found that this might not be the best way to go. Essentially the trail takes you down the hill into the mining area, along the entrance path to the area and down to the road. That was the last blaze we found and just walked to the road since we knew we had to anyways. We took a right on HWY 32 and hiked up hill and later found that the tail was supposed to exit a little further up from where we ended up. We assumed that the proper trail to take would have been back up on the hill and taken a right over a larger hill to have you exit on HWY 32 a little further up. I don't know the original or newest design for this location but we assume that was what we should have done. This area is easily accessible from 32 just about .2 miles from the road if anyone wants to look into this.
I should be back on the trail soon and will be happy to give any updates on trail conditions after the fact and continue to do what I can while I'm on it. Thank you for such an awesome trail.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodyfox351, thanks for the trip report. There is some confusion on the approach towards KY 32 if you are traveling north to south. We have been trying to work our way from south to north to end this confusion. We still have a ways to go.

Near where you saw the quarried area the trail goes up a slight bank off of an old road bed and there is alarge tree down across the trail. You can crawl under the tree and follow well cleared trail all the way to KY 32.

I am currently working towards that confusing area you mention. This time I am coming from the north. See my post in the general disucssion section. I hope to end the confusion soon.
woodyfx351
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great. I dont think it is that bad of a confusion now. Especially S-N but from N-S it can be a little confusing. The road is within view from that point though, so at most people can make it the road and get their bearings from there. If you need help with any planning/maintenance let me know and I will try to make to any events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: