Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm doing it! (Thru-Hiking the ST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Feb hiker challenge is 20 miles. we stop around the trailhead on U.S. 27 above Stearns.

you can arrange a shuttle back to pickett either with the Outfitters we are using or I might be able to get a volunteer to get you back to Pickett for less cost.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester,

It depends on your fitness, but you should easily be able to do 10 miles a day. As far as your GPS App question, I use AccuTerra. It is a free app, but it costs $1 to download a map of the Daniel Boone Nat Forest. The map on there shows about 50% of the Sheltowee Trace. Its shows a red line where the trail goes through the woods, but it doesn't show the red line when the trail in is on the road sections. But if you can match that with the Scott Ward manual you'll be fine.

Rootman,

What weekend are you doing TF to Lamero? I'll be on that section this Saturday Feb 18th. I plan on hiking from Arvel to TF, then mountain biking to S Tree.
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Section hike Reply with quote

Flatfeet:
I just walked in the door from our section hike where you were biking on the 18th. We backpacked from 17 to 19. The section around S-Tree was a muddy mess -- probably more fun on an ATV or bike. It slowed down our progress a bit. I hope to post a trip report in the next few days.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mtb at turkeyfoot all the time, wish I'd seen this earlier. When it's even moderately wet, I stay away from stree.
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Thru hike advice Reply with quote

Chester --
We just returned yesterday from hiking southbound from Turkey Foot to Lamero (miles 152.87 to 123.12). They had recent rain and the ATV trails, of which there are a lot in this section (especially around S-Tree), were a muddy mess. Not impassable but will force you to watch your footing if they are wet. Nevertheless we did a 14 mile day so you should be able to keep your 10 mile a day schedule easily. NOTE: at mile 128.48 the guidebook says to keep left (if northbound). In fact, the trail crosses the river (actually Horse Lick Creek although the guide calls it Lick Creek) and I would strongly advise you to do so, in contradiction to the trail guide. Upstream we could not see the bottom and didn't attempt a crossing where the guidebook recommends. After you cross the river (northbound) and go about 100 yards you will see a trail marker on the right. Not long after, you make a left turn and just follow the river around. There is no marking at this left turn and in fact this general area is poorly marked.
When we returned home I checked the water level on the Rockcastle River gage at Bellows (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv?site_no=03406500) and it was around 4.5 feet when we crossed. I assume this is an indication of the level at Horse Lick Creek, which empties into the Rockcastle, so I recommend you check the website just before you are ready to hike that area or have someone you know check it and report to you by phone. (Reception on route 89 is very poor or absent) If the level is 4.5 feet or below you should be OK. The water for our crossing was a few inches above our knees (I'm 6'2") and the current was not an issue.

Regarding campsites, we have completed the entire trail above Yamacraw and there are many, many more sites than mentioned in the guide book, especially if you just need a spot for your single tent. Creeks often have adjacent flat areas but you can often find good spots on the ridges, too. There usually is no water close by if you are on a ridge so plan ahead.

Regarding dogs, you will find them on the road walks although we once had one show up at our campsite out in the woods. I carry a can of HALT! dog spray (usually found in bike shops) and used it just once. I never was attacked but a few times they charged out into the road. Because you will have a dog with you they might be more aggressive. I've also just used my loud voice ("STOP!") and pointed a finger at them.

I hope to have a trip report to post in a few days.

Good luck! It sounds like you have planned well.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info, especially the reroute and dog info. One week from today and I will be on the trail. So far all is going as planned. My food has all been divided up with the exception of the dinners. Working on those later this week. I plan on updating as I find power and reception. Will also take photos!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rootman for the update. Yep - STree to Turkeyfoot is in bad shape from overuse. The STA has an $85,000.00 grant to be used to harden and improve the trail in this section this summer.

Thanks for the info around lick creek. We will get some better signage out there in the spring. We would also like to find a way to put a bridge crossing in this area if warranted but I believe the normal flow in this area is less than a foot most days.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust, if there is anything you need photos of let me know and I'll try to get them for you.
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootman, you must have been ahead of us the entire time. We started at 10 am on the 18th. We started at Arvel on foot and hiked 7ish miles to Resurgence(I think that's the name) cave. We stashed our bikes there earlier in the morning and rode on Elsam Fork Road. We joined the Sheltowee at Turkeyfoot and that's where the fun began. I expected this section would be difficult because of the elevation gain. The rocks were the main problem. We'd be on the bike for 15 seconds and then would have to walk for 15 seconds. It took about an hour to get up to Lime Kiln Ridge Rd and we were exhausted. We decided to take the easy route and stay on Lime Kiln until we reached hwy 89. Then we stayed on the ST until it turns away from 89. At that point cramps started setting in so we hopped off the ST and onto Nell Ridge Rd. It parrallels the ST for maybe 4 miles. Then back on the ST to decend to Elisha Branch Rd. We reached Hwy 461 at 3 pm and we had enough. (The original plan was to make it to S Tree by 4 pm) Don't get me wrong, it was fun on a bike, but difficult and somewhat painful.

I don't remember seeing any backpackers or even hikers. We did pass at least 4 sets of ATVers. I still need to get Lamero to Hwy 421 knocked out and I'll be finished with Jackson Co. I'm excited to get another section done this weekend with the crew on the ST Challenge.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rootman,
Thanks for the pictures.

Folks there are ways to repair and prevent the kind of thing in the 1593.jpeg picture. To get it done we need trail volunteer crews all along the Sheltowee Trace, that are capable of responding to these issues as they are reported here and through our Facebook and Twitter sites.

Also people can assist with doing this years trail check by going to the sheltoweetrace.org site and signing up to check a section of the trail.

If you are using the trail, pictures like what rootman has posted are very helpful to us in planning our work projects.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live a few miles closer to Stree than Turkeyfoot, and I'm at Turkeyfoot 1 or 2x a week with my mtb. I don't go to Stree for months at a time.

At the risk of heresy, I would recommend skipping the stretch between WhiteOak and Stree campground during wet weather if traveling by mtb. It's not worth the trouble (nor the bike maintence). It's bad enough on foot. Hopefully some of the funds for trail hardening at Stree will be used in this area.

Flatfeet, I mtb a T'foot all the time. T'foot campground to 89 and return is a fine out-and-back. The campground to 421 is a good run too, but the hill at Elijahs Branch (coming back towards 89) is a bear.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added all the notes into my guidebook and will keep you all updated throughout my hike. I will take photos of any trouble areas encountered.

Food is sorted. Backpack is packed and ready to go (25.16 pounds fully loaded). Given Martin his heartworm and flea medicine today. Bounce boxes being shipped out today. Going to go get the "Spot" today as per many people's suggestions. It's all coming together.

And let the madness begin. Smile

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments.
deragoku
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a good sleep system is the best, it is worth its weight. When I have my packing, I will weigh it and let you know it's food and water.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Chester from Slade Reply with quote

So, did you do it? Did you make the journey?
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to get off trail. I damaged my knees pretty bad and have been going to chiropractor since early March. I didn't train hard enough...working on getting started on better training and hopefully my body will be ready by fall. At that point, I'm going to start completely over in either this coming November, December or January.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: