Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Trip Report Reply with quote

Thursday October 6th
Day 1

The weather was perfect as we set out to hike 50 miles or so on the Sheltowee Trace from Triplett Creek to Natural Bridge. Actually we wanted to end up at Miguels to get some pizza since we have been to the Red River Gorge a million times but never to Miguels. Sounded like the perfect ending to a great trip. My 12 yr old son and I left Louisville bright and early to meet our shuttle taking us from Natural Bridge to Triplett Creek by 8am. The contact did not return my call the night before so I was a little nervous, and it turns out for good reason. The parking lot at Natural bridge was empty and sad looking. I called Steve Barbour to see what he recommended. He told us he would pick us up at Natural Bridge in 4 days and we could drive up to Cave Run lake and leave the car there. "Great plan" I think to myself and headed back to 64 East. Right before we got off of the Mountain Parkway my son realizes that he has forgotten his hiking boots. my patience is a little thin at this point. I drive back to Louisville prepared to throw in the towel before we even hit the trail. I called my wife and told her the news and she says take it easy on him, it was a mistake and that she thinks we should still go. so we get the boots and head back to 64 East. We arrived at Cave Run with almost 400 miles on the trip meter and a new trail name for my son- "Boots".
We hit the trail and finally began to shake the stress of everyday life in the city. The trail on this first stretch was in great shape and easy to follow aside from a tall grass hike following a power line through a valley. I wasn't sure if we were heading the right way but at the top with a quick scout we soon saw that turtle we had been following. The trail was challenging but I think we got in 7 miles before we made camp on a ridge line right off of the trail. It was a good spot and we made dinner that required no water because we knew there was no more water until Clear Creek the next day and we were getting pretty low. After hanging our food we put out the fire and crawled into the tent for some rest. around 11pm several people on horseback rode through with their radios and their beers. "Hello Camp!" one of them exclaimed. We said hello and when they asked how the hell we got there we explained that we walked. This seemed to amaze them as they vanished down the trail. Finally off to sleep!

Last edited by Kykind on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! Something to talk about when that son has a son or daughter. Glad you saw it through to get back to the trail. Again, sorry the shuttle didn't work out but guess it was fate.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Kykind Reply with quote

We did your shuttle the day you came off. Was wondering if you're heading back anytime soon? We'd be glad to hook up or provide another shuttle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: