Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take the ST Challenge in 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildust, you have mail.

I am hoping to do this as it sounds like a good way to thru-hike this trail.

Right now we have a family emergency going on and unfortunately we have no idea how long it is going to last. We are hoping it gets resolved before the Christmas holidays.

PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me on that list.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Time to Choose the Date Reply with quote

Hello 2012 STA Challenge Hikers;

Thanks to everyone who has signed up for the 2012 Challenge. Our goal for this Challenge is to provide the opportunity for as many as desire, the chance to "section" hike the entire length, 282 miles of the Sheltowee Trace. Along the way we hope to acquaint more hikers with the trail and its challenges, have a lot of fun even in the extremes of cold and hot weather, make some new friends, and collect new converts to the challenges of maintaining this great trail.

I hope you can understand the challenge we have of picking the perfect or near perfect date for the most participants. We never want to disappoint anyone but recognize that the date may not work with your schedule. So if you miss this months hike, we promise we will find some time later in the year to get back out with those who missed this section.

So the STA needs you to help us decide which of these two dates are best for you. WE NEED YOUR RESPONSE BY SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4th.
If you have already responded via the email message, you do not have to respond again.

Option 1 - January 6,7,8 Option 2 - January 20,21,22

A word of caution, not to discourage anyone but to give a realistic view of the challenge. You should be capable of carrying no more than 25% your body weight and have the stamina to hike from 8 to 12 miles in a 8 to 10 hour day. Of course in the winter months when we have less light the distance covered will be shorter than in the summer when we have 12 hours of light.

Friday's will be a travel day for most all of us to get to the start point, in this case Pickett State Park in Tennessee, with a minimum of hiking with head lights most likely given the fall of darkness around 5:30. If we have enough participants we hope to have a shuttle service hired to take us from a central meeting point in the area down to the Southern Terminus and pick us up on Sunday evening and return us to our vehicles.

More information on recommended gear, food, etc and a "Release of Liability" will be sent in the days ahead. We hope to have a specific section up on our forum site, www.sheltoweetrace.com in the next few days where we can exchange information etc. If you have not signed on to the .com forum we encourage you to do so.

Looking ahead to February, we plan on doing the hike over the President's day weekend to give us some extra time on the trail.

I look forward to meeting all of you and enjoying a great time on the Sheltowee.

"traildust"

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: 1st Section of 2012 ST Hiker Challenge Reply with quote

Section Hike the ST in 2012. The first section will be a little shorter than originally planned due to the length of drive it takes to get to Pickett SP. Hikers should be prepared to hike in the dark (GET A HEADLAMP) and camp two nights on the trail. We have shorten the section this time to 28 miles which will still be a challenge in Jan. Hikers are required to sign a waiver of liabililty, and will be required to show they have the proper equipment to survive a winter hike on the ST. For more details email director@sheltoweetrace.org.

DATE : Friday, January 6, 2012 at 6:00pm until Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 5:00pm.

Where : Pickett SP Tn., to Beech Grove Rd. - 28 Miles

Description: This is the first of our monthly section hikes on the ST. Hikers will start at the southern terminus at Pickett SP. The hike will end 28 miles later at Beech Grove Rd.. If you want to join the Challenge, please respond here or send an email to director@sheltoweetrace.or​g.

Always room for one more.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting my army cot and kerosene heater in my backpack, but I'm working on it.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out. I can't go that weekend.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ewker. We will do a makeup hike later in the spring. Sorry.

traildust

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem traildust, things happen so hopefully I can make it up later
Lee C
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Hiker challenge Reply with quote

Lee Cummins 859 294 4700. ohikerguy@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: