Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Chainsaw Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: 2011 Chainsaw Training Reply with quote

We are trying to access the interest in attending chainsaw certification training. It requires a weekend with Forest personnel most likely in the London area. There is no cost for the training but each participant is on their own for accomodation and food cost.

This training is only part one of three parts to be certified. The other two are CPR certification and basic first aid.

First offer goes out to our friends here on the .com site. Space is limited and we hope the class will be offered in early May.

If you are interested and would consider attending please respond here.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the "we" is the Sheltowee Trace Association. Training gear will be provided by the Forest. After certification you will need to obtain your own safety gear in order to work for US in the Forest.

At this time we need at least 4 more volunteers certified to help across the Forest with blowdowns.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
WC4V
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

What if you are already certified in First-Aid and CPR, will that requirement be waived? I just completed a two-day Red-Cross training session at work today.

Steve
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. I need to update my certification.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC4V - If you have a current certification in this area and have a card to show proof, you are in good standing. The FS doesn't provide the CPR or First-aid training so once you do chainsaw training you are ready to hit the woods.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: May Date Reply with quote

We are working with FS to set a final date, either the second or third weekend in May. We need to have 6 volunteers committed to attend the class. Please respond here or email director@sheltoweetrace.org if you have questions.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
The training looks good for May 7 and 8. We must have 6 committed to have the class. I would like to have 8 if possible. Again, the FS will provide most of the personal safety equipment. Training will be in London at the Fire Cache. I will send directions etc in emails to participants. The first priority goes to STA members but you do not have to be a member to attend the training. We hold this training with the FS to develop our volunteer base for working downed trees on the Trace first and then side trails and other trails second. So please, given the current wind events and a record number of trees across the trail, consider helping us.

Again once you complete this training, you MUST get basic first-aid and CPR training and present those cards to FS before they will AUTHORIZE you to cut trees in the Forest.

Email me if you have questions

director@sheltoweetrace.org

BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, I've got it worked out with the work schedule to be there.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug. Now we need five more. Who's in?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Bump This to Top Reply with quote

Friends,

Each trailcheck report received so far has listed blowdowns that will need to be cleared. WE NEED CHAINSAW certified volunteers in droves to get this done this spring or you face unexpected stoppages on your time on the trail.

We have three volunteers who are in. How about you? We need three more so please give a weekend for a worthy cause. We can't afford to let the summer go without holding this training.

steve

Ma Rose
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I'd love to do this, but I don't own a chainsaw anymore and can't afford to buy one. I might be able to borrow one, but no guarantees.

Also, are we still scheduled to have a face to face board meeting that weekend?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carey and others,

You do not have to own a chainsaw to take the course.

gagagopher
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum and was curious why you would need to operate a chainsaw in a national park? Is it so you can remove a fallen tree on a trail? I'm sure there's a reason, but my mind is drawing a blank.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep to remove trees from the trail and large blowdown areas. Volunteers are the only way we can keep the Sheltowee Trace open. The Forest Service and NPS just don't have the personnel to cover all the trail. They tend to do around the campgrounds and well used sites.
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this training go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: