Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can you help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> TrailCheck 2011
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: How can you help? Reply with quote

Objective: Trailcheck 2011, to be held on April 9 - 10, is designed to collect trail observation reports for the entire length of the Sheltowee that can then be used to prioritize trial maintenance and target volunteer resources where they are needed. The trail will be divided into segments with volunteers walking, biking, or riding sections over this weekend and completing observation reports. Information will include, start location, stop location, time on the trail, travel time, approximate location of blow downs, washouts, lack of directional signs, streams that may need bridges.
Observer report forms will be emailed to volunteers and made available on our website.

Segments will be posted on this website, on Facebook and on the STA site. Letters will be sent to local High School ROTC programs, scout programs and other service organizations near the trail.

Volunteers who maybe can't walk, or ride the Trace will be recruited to assist in the shuttling of trailcheck participants.

A press release will go out two weeks prior to the event to seek additional volunteers.

Do you want help? Post what you can do here.

veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I am not working that weekend so if I can find a hiking buddy I will help.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Trailcheck Segment List is Up Reply with quote

Ok,
Visit our other site

http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Volunteering_IT9R.html

for the updated list of segements still available and in need of your checking.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyd-- it looks like we need some clean up of spam in this new forum. I tried but I'm not a moderator in this forum.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

We have filled a couple more segments for TrailCheck 2011. Why not sign up for a mile or two and help us get the Trace ready for another great spring,summer, and fall season?

Visit the volunteer page of the STA website, www.sheltoweetrace.org

to check availability. Once you have selected the segment and section, send your name, address and phone number along with your first and second choices to volunteer@sheltoweetrace.org

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: I've got my section Reply with quote

I'll be doing from the iron furnace at Clear Creek to 1247. I went to Carrington Rock back in October and the trail was in good condition with only one or two trees down and only a couple of short sections that had moderate thorn overgrowth.

According to "Hiking Kentucky" the trail over to Carrington Rock enters private propery and I could hear logging in the holler between the ridge looking at Carrington Rock and Carrington Rock. Does anyone know what I can expect there?

Thanks,
Kel
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more volunteers have signed up for sections of the Trace. Can you help with a section or shuttle? Visit our volunteer page at www.sheltoweetrace.org for a list of section awaiting your help.

Steve Barbour
Executive Director
The Sheltowee Trace Association

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Update- Things are Looking Good But we Still need you!!! Reply with quote

Thanks so much to the volunteers who have stepped forward to help us with TrailCheck 2011. Today we closed off another segment of The Trace, Segment 6: KY-1274 - Northern Terminus. Segment 2 is filled with volunteer.

But there is still a place for you. We need help in the Big South Fork and South of I-75. Visit www.sheltoweetrace.org click on volunteer page to pick your section.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have less than ten sections left. Sign up today to help us check the Sheltowee before the season begins. Visit www.sheltoweetrace.org the volunteer page for a list of what's still available. Thanks to all our volunteers for their dedicated work.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: ONLY 2 SECTIONS LEFT Reply with quote

Only 2 sections left for Trailcheck 2011. Hwy 490 to White Oak Branch Rd a distance of 5.5 or White Oak Br. Rd. to S-Tree Campground a distance of 10.0
Could there be one or two more volunteers out there who can take these sections? Visit our website click on volunteer page for details and then send an email to v...olunteer@sheltoweetrace.org

PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I see a post that we can trailcheck between now and 4/10 somewhere?? If so, I'm going to get my sections in early, possibly Sunday.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. If it works better for you Paul go ahead. Just send in the assessment form and the registration form with your time. We just need the check to be done by 10 April so we can get going on maintenance priorities like the section south of Heidelberg.
WC4V
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana, my oldest son, and I completed Section 3/Section 3 this past Saturday. This section started at Pine Creek Church, and ended at the parking area off of KY1956. This section was in good shape, with the exception of a few minor blow downs and a deep mud hole or two. I will be submitting the assessment form in the next few days.

Steve
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WC4V for the update and your time. Looking forward to your report.
Bale
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed my section today...Hwy 27 to Cumberland falls. Was planning to take two days on it, but one ended up being enough. It was 18 miles, which was less than I was expecting. Took GPS coordinates as I found things that needed attention. There were several things, but overall the trail in that sections seemed to be in good shape. Will try to get the report submitted later this week....a couple of blockages...handful of step overs...a few crawl unders. And several wet creek crossings...I have an idea for where a bridge can go. But overall a pretty good stretch of trail. It is exciting to see the ST get better each year. It has been a noticeable improvement since I have started paying attention to the trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> TrailCheck 2011 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: