Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heading South For the Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Heading South For the Weekend Reply with quote

My ten year old and myself have been presented with a rather stark choice for this weekend; either we vacate the premises Saturday, or otherwise we must don tuxeodos and attend prom. Ben would rather go to the doctor than put on a suit and attend a dance (I guess he is my son!).

I think we may head south for an overnighter on the Sheltowee, or at least in the general vicinity of the Sheltowee Trace. I have'nt been to BSF in awhile, and I have never camped or hiked around Pickett either. I'm looking for some suggestions. Something about 5 miles out (or 10 miles out-and-back) that we can backpack into. If ya'll have recommendations, please post up. Thanks!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you man. Go have fun. Maybe start at Bark Camp and head south to Cumberland Falls or start at Laurel Lake. The Outfitters can help with shuttle if you need one. Great section of trail for young hikers.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR, if you want to go all the way to Pickett, you can start on the ST at the southern terminus and head north for 4 or 5 miles.

Just past the 4 mile marker, you can take the left onto Hidden Passage Trail and follow it back to near the terminus. This would be about an 8 mile loop with only the last 1/3 mile being backtracked.

If you want a little longer hike, head on up to just past the 5 mile marker, turn west onto the John Muir Trail for about a mile, then take another left back to the Hidden Passage Trail, and back to the ST Terminus. This will be about 10 miles.

Also, there is a side trail to the right about 3.5 miles out the ST that takes you across Rock Creek and out to Double Falls.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR, did you make it down south last weekend?

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
gagagopher
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you had the option of going camping rather than having to attend what I assume is a wedding. I'm going to my cousin's open house this summer, and I figured since I'm traveling to Tennessee I should check out the Sheltowee Trail. How did you trip go last year? Do you plan on visiting here in the future or next time you have to wear a tuxedo?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good place and in my opinion you can stick to these things because they are helpful in many terms and at the same time through discussing it we get a lot of help in different ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: