Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harvesting @ Turkeyfoot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Harvesting @ Turkeyfoot Reply with quote

Did a short mtb ride at Turkeyfoot this afternoon (campground to 89 and return) the deadfalls that I noticed on the 20th were still there, and there were already atv reroutes (damage) around them.

Coming across the first creek crossing from the campground there are 2 or 3 trees across the trial in relatively quick succession. About the first half mile or so across the creek. Near the last fallen tree I looked over the bank (towards the creek) and saw several animal feed bags full of something. Given the time of year, I figured it was safe to check (not in September in the DBNF).

The bags were full of moss. It appears that someone may have been harvesting, and possibly got spooked off. I'll try to report this to the fs by the first of next week.

The campground was open too. I'm guessing it opened this week. I met a group that had overnighted on the trace from Arvel to Tfoot.
goon
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I were planning to hike the whole trail this summer, do you have any recommendations about the time of year we do it? I know it'll take about 28 days.

Thanks
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really there is no bad time in spring, summer or fall. Water is likely to be more available in Spring but then again you might get rained on. I would recommend April to June or Sept to end of October. Trees are now beginning to bud so in the next few weeks the color of the forest will be changing.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really hard to say when the best time is to make the trip. Each season has its pro's and con's. Spring and fall have milder temperatures but the chances of having quite a bit of rain is fairly high. Summer has the hottest temperatures but generally less over all rainfall. Late spring thru mid fall usually means more insects and bugs which can be annoying. Summer has the longest amount of day light which can be easier on the daily routine of breaking camp, hiking, then establishing camp again along with meal preparations. In the end its all personal preference. I for example prefer to do such trips in early to mid November because the poison ivy has died back and the bugs are pretty much gone and snakes are usually denned for the winter--but not always.

This years trip will be earlier though due to my sisters work schedule. Probably October.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: