Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyK
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: New user Reply with quote

I'm considering trying to hike the STT over the next few months, but since I normally hike alone, this presents a logistical problem. So, could y'all give me the best loops to hike that will get me back to my truck and any other ideas about how to do this.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

If you don't have maps get some. The one's done by outregis.com are excellent. There are plenty of end to end hikes that you do where you can get a ride back to your vehicle. There are plenty of folks who hike the Trace regularly that you can hike with and share the logistics of get from an end point back to your vehicle. Just post here and on facebook that you need a hiking partner or hiking support and see what happens.

If you want to hike the Northern section we can help there with get back to your car.

Thanks for being a part of our community.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
NancyK
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, will use this information. Also, I plan to hike the Laurel Lake section later this week and maybe catch an eagle or two. About blazeing the trace, how do I get the supplies to do this? Since I'm frequently out on the trace, it would be nice to have the blazes to put up where necessary. Or, is it a more structured job where y'all tell me where to go and when? Nancy
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyK wrote:
Thanks Steve, will use this information. Also, I plan to hike the Laurel Lake section later this week and maybe catch an eagle or two. About blazing the trace, how do I get the supplies to do this? Since I'm frequently out on the trace, it would be nice to have the blazes to put up where necessary. Or, is it a more structured job where y'all tell me where to go and when? Nancy

It is a little in between. If you want to work individually you will have to fill out the volunteer form with USFS and the background check form. No big deal. They then get sent to voluteer coordinator in Winchester. The ranger station at Stearns has some blazes. London does not. They gave me all of theirs. I can send some to you in the mail.

We do need some blazes north of Laurel Lake up to I-75. When were you thinking of going out? It is suppose to be snowy and wet.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: