Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadfalls on the Lake Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Deadfalls on the Lake Trail Reply with quote

The section of the Sheltowee that runs from Laurel Dam to Hwy 192 is known in this region as the "Lake Trail". It's a high speed, (non-technical) mtb run that follows the contours of the lake. 9.5 miles from 192 to the dam (one way). This section also passes Holley Bay Marina, and Holly Bay Campground. This is argueably the most popular section of the southern sheltowee in terms of users. This section also drains well, and is often the only trail rideable down here during the fall and spring rain seasons.

There has been significant deadfalls on the lake trail since June at least. I think there are currently 10-12 on the route. There used to be a usfs fellow named Jay that used to keep the lake trail cleared. He would be out working on the weekends, on his own time. I think that Jay is retired now, and has moved from the area. Needless to say, we really miss Jay! The deadfalls are too large to handle without a chainsaw, so we need to ask the usfs if they can get a crew trough there. I think I could get a crew of mtb volunteers to help with the small stuff if we were allowed to do so. There has been a slight undercurrent of MonkeyWrench type activity (chainsaws) considered down here, and I want to stay ahead of that, and in good graces with the usfs!!

It seems to me that a large percentage of the dead trees in this section are populars, and it looks like there will be several more that will hit the ground in the next year or so. It might be a good time for the usfs to inventory this section with a eye towards cutting some of the trees that are already dead (but upright) before they create hazards. It's much easier to tell when the leaves are still on, and they won't last much longer.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: PR Deadfalls Reply with quote

Let me ask Derek to get some folks in this area and run some chainsaws through these downed trees. He usually can get it done in a week or so. Thanks for reporting it. I will see what USFS can do and get back to you.

steve

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Kris Davis
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, do you know where I could get a hold of a decent bike for my son. He is turning 9 at the end of the month. I tried getting a hold of Marty Vaughn last year, he used to have a small Marin but he couldn't remember who he gave it to.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Ibarguen, the ranger in London, responded that he will send someone out to check on this trail and get it cleared. If he needs help he will let me know and I will post here.

steve "traildust"

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris, I bought my ten year old son (Ben) a Jamis Ranger XR off lexington craigslist about three weeks ago. I had been looking for awhile for a 14" or 15" frame, and had no luck at all on kymba classifieds. I gave about half retail for the Ranger, and it's nice. Weighs about 1/2 what a wally world model would.

We'll have to get together for a kids ride sometime.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, thanks for contacting the usfs. I appreciate ya.
Kris Davis
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR wrote:

We'll have to get together for a kids ride sometime.

That's is about all I can handle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: