Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thru-hike questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewo123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Thru-hike questions Reply with quote

I have been considering a thru-hike in Sept or Oct and have been wondering about a few things. I don't live close enough to get out and scout the different areas but I have wondered about much of the trail is still covered with downed trees and how difficult it is to find trail markers in some areas. Also, how well cleared is the north end from the NT to Morehead? I only have two weeks to take off work and I am wanting to thru-hike without resupply. This would mean that I start out with a pack weight of about 35 lbs, not counting water. This would include about 1 1/2 lbs of dehydrated food per day for 14 days. I don't want to waste time climbing over, under, or around trees or getting lost. Are there any maps available? How many waterless ridge walks are there where I would have to carry extra water? I have hiked some short sections but I have no idea of the overall trail. Is it more advantageous in regards to elevation gain/loss or following trail markers to hike southbound or northbound? Sorry for so many questions, and I may have more later, but I would appreciate any assistance or advice.
Thanks,
David
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trail in North is clear of downed trees. You might run into some briars and weeds but nothing that will delay you. Downed trees in the south have been cleared. So do it!!!!!

Boyd has a new map that you need to buy. The ranger district office in Morehead at Cave run has the three maps that cover the trail which are plenty good as well. With a map and taking your time and looking ahead you shouldn't have much trouble making your way.

I hope to still get out there either before the Sep 12 meeting or after.

You might want to split your food load and have someone bring you the second half or mail it ahead. There are several posts here that talk about resupply.

Let us know how it goes.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this section to contend with
http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428
although it does look like a short road walk would get you around that section pretty easily.

Looking forward to reading your trip report!!
dewo123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Could someone address the question about dry stretches and any advantage to hiking SB or NB? Is the map you referred to the one from OutrageGIS Mapping showing the south 150 miles? On the problem of downed trees, is this between Turkey Foot and Arvel? If so, can someone tell me the approx. mile numbers on the interactive map? Also, I couldn't find Hales Ridge Rd on the downloadable map. Does the ST cross this road twice? You said the problem is between Hales Ridge Rd and Hales Ridge Rd? Is that shown on any map or marked on the trail? I would like to be able to hike around so many downed trees. I haven't gotten the maps from the Ranger Station yet. Can they be ordered somewhere and mailed out? I would like to look at every available map for a long hike through unfamiliar territory. I told you I'd have more questions.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down just enough to see Arvel on the left side of the map. You will see the word Hale just to the right of center. The road you see there is most likely Hale Ridge Rd. The trail joins the road just to the right of Arvel and then you would have to look at map #19 to see where the trail joins the road again.

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/maps/18.pdf
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for elevation change I don't think there is any significant advantage with either direction. When I do my thru hike I will start at the NT and head south simply because the NT is closest to where I live which will make it easier to get an early start.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I rode from turkeyfoot to arvel, there were two big "slips" where a considerable portion of hillside has given way. One of these slips has probably existed for the better part od a decade, and it usually is'nt too hard to skirt around. The new(er) slip (closer to arvel) is steeper, and it has dragged several trees across wherre the trial used to be. Still, you could climb up about 75' over the top of the slip, then go back down to the trail on the other side and continue on. No fun dragging a mtn up, but definately doable. This was very early this spring, probaly still cold weather. The section sees very little travel of any kind. Atv's are banned on this section (the legal section starts at turkeyfoot, and runs to stree; there is alot of atv traffic at stree on weekends, I would try to time my hike to cross there through the week.) Just as you get to arvel, there is a short section under a small clifface. Part of the cliff has fallen, creating a small pinch that an atv won't fit through. That's the real reason that atvs don't travel this section. You can actually get an atv through here; you just have to pick it up and carry it about 75'. That takes about 6 guys with 2 beers in them, or about 4 guys with 4 beers in them.

Back in the day (think 30 years ago) the locals had tapped a small freshwater spring near the top of the ridge here; a small pipe had been driven into the rock, and the water flowed year round. Later, two 55 gallon drums were set in sequence below the pipe; about 110 gallons of water on hold.........Then one day the usfs demolished all that. Now there is a sign warning not to drink the water.

Anyway (!), you guys are welcome to mail foodstuffs and such to me (thanks guys) here in Jackson Co, and I could deliver them or stash them for you around turkeyfoot. Should ya'll spend a night down here, I might ever be swayed into delivering a hot dinner from the buffet at Mckee. Of course, ya'll may be tooo hard core for that. (Not me.)

If I can be of assistance, just let me know.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: And a Trail Angel is Born Reply with quote

thanks PR for volunteering to help with food drops. We need more folks like you who are willing to do this kind of angel work.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR wrote:
The last time I rode from turkeyfoot to arvel, there were two big "slips" where a considerable portion of hillside has given way. One of these slips has probably existed for the better part od a decade, and it usually is'nt too hard to skirt around. The new(er) slip (closer to arvel) is steeper, and it has dragged several trees across wherre the trial used to be. Still, you could climb up about 75' over the top of the slip, then go back down to the trail on the other side and continue on. No fun dragging a mtn up, but definately doable. This was very early this spring, probaly still cold weather. The section sees very little travel of any kind. Atv's are banned on this section (the legal section starts at turkeyfoot, and runs to stree; there is alot of atv traffic at stree on weekends, I would try to time my hike to cross there through the week.) Just as you get to arvel, there is a short section under a small clifface. Part of the cliff has fallen, creating a small pinch that an atv won't fit through. That's the real reason that atvs don't travel this section. You can actually get an atv through here; you just have to pick it up and carry it about 75'. That takes about 6 guys with 2 beers in them, or about 4 guys with 4 beers in them.

Back in the day (think 30 years ago) the locals had tapped a small freshwater spring near the top of the ridge here; a small pipe had been driven into the rock, and the water flowed year round. Later, two 55 gallon drums were set in sequence below the pipe; about 110 gallons of water on hold.........Then one day the usfs demolished all that. Now there is a sign warning not to drink the water.

Anyway (!), you guys are welcome to mail foodstuffs and such to me (thanks guys) here in Jackson Co, and I could deliver them or stash them for you around turkeyfoot. Should ya'll spend a night down here, I might ever be swayed into delivering a hot dinner from the buffet at Mckee. Of course, ya'll may be tooo hard core for that. (Not me.)

If I can be of assistance, just let me know.

Wow PR, great description and generosity! I think I remembering seeing a ridge spring with remains of galvanized tubs in a rockhouse. So you're saying twelve pack of beer could move an atv 75 feet? Laughing

dewo123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info and especially to PR for the food drop offer. I may take you up on that. That would allow me to almost halve my starting weight. The three maps that Traildust mentioned that are available at the Morehead District Ranger office-are they Topo maps? I called the Morehead office and they said that I can only order them by phone from the Winchester office but they were not Topo maps. She said that they covered the north, central, and south sections. Are these the ones you spoke of? I really don't want to drive to Winchester but I will if I have to, in order to look at what they have available.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what they have available. Scroll down to the middle of the page for the topo map links. The topo maps do not show the Sheltowee. To do the entire Sheltowee you will need several maps.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/maps/#topo

Have you looked at the downloadable maps from this site? They are designed to print on 8.5"x11" paper. They would be much easier to carry than all those topo maps and the trail is marked on the maps.
dewo123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jbd. I think the topo maps would be kind of useless without the ST being marked. I have the downloadable maps and they are pretty good albeit very condensed. I have ordered the new Southern Trace from outrageousGSI and look forward to using it as a study guide even though it will probably be too big to carry. I'm a little worried about Cromer Ridge after reading Johnny Molloy's book. I don't carry a crystal ball or tarot cards. Surprised) There is a chance that I can't get 2 weeks off in a row, so I'm looking at some alternatives just in case. Maybe a hundred miles or so somewhere on the trace. Thanks recession and staffing cutbacks. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice scenic 100 miles somewhere in case I have to resort to that?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new map will be easy to carry. Its actually something like 4 or 5 sheets which fold up small. Possibly the most scenic section of the Sheltowee is the southern portion so you could hike just the part shown on the new map which is right at 150 miles.
dewo123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new Sheltowee Trace-southern half maps this past Monday and they are great. Anyone planning to thru-hike the Trace should get them. Well worth the cost. Looking forward to the northern half maps. Thanks Boyd.
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the major thing which is around us and at the same time through going up and down we get to be aware of the basics. So yeah highlight of this factor is truly a helpful thing for the travels which moves ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: