Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Signage Vandalism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Signage Vandalism Reply with quote

People tearing trail markers down remain a persistent problem in my area. It's the main reason so many folks loose the trail around Cromer Ridge. The USFS has done a remarkable job in restoring the area (now has an enforced atv ban), but new signage usually does'nt last very long. I've also noticed signage being taken off through Jackson county. Apparently folks like those turtle symbols for souviners. I usually notice this stuff only near atv or car accessable places.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly this is going to be a persistent problem We need to focus more on painting on the Turtle blazes and not the nail on signs. The Association might in the future want to offer up the "turtle blaze" for sale to those who just got to have it in their garage.

Boyd do you have any printing friends who could make us some stencils that we could use?

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can make stencils pretty easily. I will bring some to the Sept 12th meeting.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stencils would be the way to go. If we could stencil through some of the most troublesome sections, I think it would really help. Would we need an ok from the usfs to do some of this?
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
Sadly this is going to be a persistent problem We need to focus more on painting on the Turtle blazes and not the nail on signs. The Association might in the future want to offer up the "turtle blaze" for sale to those who just got to have it in their garage.

Boyd do you have any printing friends who could make us some stencils that we could use?

I think stencils is the way to go. You can't rip off a painted sign. However, if some of these signs are removed because of malicious intent, then we've got a whole other problem.

I can't print stencils, but I know we can have them made in bulk. I'll see how much it costs.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you got a chance to follow up on getting stencils printed? Would like to have them for Sep if USFS fails to come through.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a few stencils if we can come up with some. I might know of a few places that they could be used..........., and I could probably find a can of white paint if I needed to.
Ma Rose
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that this is a REALLY old thread, and know that we're using plastic blazes, but....

Any word on stencils? Maybe we could have them available at the May face to face board meeting. Even better would be to have them for Trailcheck.

I think painted blazes along the road walks would last MUCH longer.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea from Ma Rose
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. I noticed a few missing plastic signs during my walk week before last on the section between Heidelberg and 1209. I had the same thought that the signage should go back to paint.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been taking with me some diamond trail stencils I have made myself while working on the trail for such areas. I have been putting white diamonds up on the trail in area's that have had the markers pulled down. They are the same size and shape as the current trail makers that are now used. Some people enjoy taking these down for some odd reason. Usually in areas that are on private or very active public land (usually around public roadways). I think this is the only way to keep this from happening in some area's of the trail.

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: