Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Thru
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradcombs
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Speed Thru Reply with quote

Hello,

I wondered if anyone knew what the fastest logged thru hike is? I'm considering doing a speed pass. This is mostly due to the amount of time that I can take off of work.

I'm in pretty good shape. I generally run 8 miles of trail 3-4 times per week and hike another 10 miles or so on climbing trips and with the family. I would have to condition for the 20+ mile days, but I think that I can handle that.

I'm a little concerned about the road portions of the trail and not getting off course. Moving this quickly, I'm bound to make errors but want to keep it to a minimum. Also, I'll have to be pretty strategic about load and resupply points. Any info there is appreciated.

Any of you thru hikers have advice? Besides "you're nuts", of course. Laughing

Brad
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
How much time do you have? IBME (rick) did his in 12 days averaging over 20 miles per day. By October, we would hope to have reblazed a lot of those places where you might get lost. If you have a weekend, you might drive down and find those road crossings and turn that might be a problem so you have a mental picture when you hike into that crossing.

traildust.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you would need to do a pre inspection of the various problem points along the trail so you know exactly where they are and what the correct route is. Also the people I have read about who have run the AT had much ground support for all the logistical needs. I believe all the runner carried was water and food was at predetermined stops. Took a lot of coordination.
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick really hauled tail on his trip which if I remember correctly landed him with an infection under his knee cap that had him laid up for a bit afterwards.
He also did tow a car from trail head to trail head at nights and pre-laid caches of food.
bradcombs
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
I would think you would need to do a pre inspection of the various problem points along the trail so you know exactly where they are and what the correct route is....

I've found some good tips here on areas that might be problematic. I'll try to compile a list in the next few days and post it to get ideas flowing. Thanks for the ideas!
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
what kind of time frame are you thinking of? 10 days 11 days?? As Chilton mentioned I.B.Me did it in 12 days but he did pay a price for it with the knee problem. Not sure if having a few days more time available would have prevented the specific problem he had, but something to at least think about. Certainly planning for the longest daylight hours would be of benefit which would also allow for slightly cooler temperatures.

Was wondering if you are thinking about coming to the September meeting in Winchester? Might be a good opprotunity to meet some people who live along the trail that would be willing to help you with the hike logistics.
bradcombs
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking 10 days, which is about a marathon a day. Smile

I will be at the meeting in September. I might be leaving a few days after that. Wink
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
Sorry I have been covered up at work and at home so I am not checking in like I should.

My knee was directly related to the hurried pace. I was also 43 years old.

I think if someone is in good shape and maybe a little younger like 20-35 ten days would be very doable. I spent one whole day cumulative moving vehicles around.

Now for the advice section of this post... Slow down and enjoy the trail. The journey is what life is about not necessarily the destination. Better yet try to get someone to go with you. (hint nobody else is going to sign on for a 28 mile per day pace.)

Now to contribute to your less than sane thoughts:
Drop your skin out weight way down to near 10 pounds.
Carry only 1 days rations.
Leave 6 or 8 stashes at road crossings.
Re supply at the stores along the way too.
Include water in the stashes. Pumping water takes a lot of time.
Get very familiar with the trail so you do not waste steps backtracking.
Either do it soon or wait until next year because the days are getting shorter.
Finishing is not about endurance its mostly mental.

You do not need to run to make 28 miles per day just don't stop for breaks. If you have a decent stride you would have to walk about 11 hours per day. However if you start out running, there is a good chance you will not finish due to injury.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Me

bradcombs
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.B.Me wrote:
Better yet try to get someone to go with you. (hint nobody else is going to sign on for a 28 mile per day pace.)

I did talk a friend into doing it with me. We are both excited about trying to push the pace.

I.B.Me wrote:

Now to contribute to your less than sane thoughts:
Drop your skin out weight way down to near 10 pounds.
Carry only 1 days rations.
Leave 6 or 8 stashes at road crossings.
Re supply at the stores along the way too.
Include water in the stashes. Pumping water takes a lot of time.
Get very familiar with the trail so you do not waste steps backtracking.
Either do it soon or wait until next year because the days are getting shorter.
Finishing is not about endurance its mostly mental.

This is perfect, thanks for information. We will have good support as well and were thinking of setting up 3 stashes of gear (that would cover three nights (tent, sleeping bags, etc..) and have the support team leap frog them three times for us. Likely be doing the same thing for food.

The purpose is not necessarily to thru-hike the Sheltowee for the sake of hiking (enjoying) it. It just happens to be a long path where we can push the endurance limits and see how it goes (without going on some loop ad nauseum).
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

Let us know how it turns out. Not that it's a race, but I've had people ask what's the fastest thruhike. You can cover 25 miles a day consistently if you go slow, don't stop much, and do it all day. I can't do that consistently since I need to photograph!

Boyd

ajax
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing how you guys do. I've been thinking about doing a solo, supported hike/run for some time. I definitely think it could be pulled off in a week.
Question is what's the best time to do it?
Summer has more light but seems like many parts of the trail are overgrown, plus it's hotter and there are likely more snakes (at the north end from what I read).
I would love to take a shot at a winter crossing where there is less vegetation, good hard ground and you'd have the whole trail to yourself.
Any thoughts?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajax wrote:

I would love to take a shot at a winter crossing where there is less vegetation, good hard ground and you'd have the whole trail to yourself.
Any thoughts?

Might not have hard ground during the winter. Seems like most of the time we have mud during the winter Sad
bradcombs
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late fall might be good... when the temps are 70 or under and the leaves are just about to fall. Might not want to go just after they fall... it's hard enough to navigate this thing. Wink
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naviagation and trail conditions hopefully will have improved by late Oct into November.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Saxman
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we still need to do this Brad. We should inspect the problem areas this fall with GPS and then plan our training for next Fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: