Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Section hike...where to go, where to go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdpalace
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Section hike...where to go, where to go? Reply with quote

Three of my friends and our boys (14 to 16 year olds) are planning a section hike the weekend of the 27th of June. We've been looking at the White Sulphur Horse Camp to Pinch em Tight Parking Area, but that 9.5 miles of road hiking doesn't seem too inviting.

In comparison, how's the hike from the 192 trailhead to Barren Fork Horse Camp?

We're planning on leaving on a Friday morning and heading home Monday evening. Our biggest challenge/concern is the vehicle staging. Which of these two hikes has the shortest road travel and the best (security wise) parking areas.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome bdpalace,
Hwy 192 to Hwy 27 is a great three day hike if you are in a hurry but if I may suggest hwy 27 to Laurel Lake dam parking area. That is about 35 miles and very senic. Unless the whole group is experienced and wants to make milage, it is better to have a fun hike for the age you mentioned.

I have been parking at the USFS office on hwy 27 ever since I lost my catalatic converter while parked in the hwy 27 trailhead parking area. No one has said anything or left any notes on my car so if I were you I would do likewise for vehicle security. The Laurel Lake dam parking area is well patrolled and although I have never parked there, I would think a vehicle would be safe there.

The reason I would hike South to north in this case is to enjoy the Cumberland river and Laurel lake for a swim on day two and the end of day three instead of first thing on day one and during day two. It gives a reward for traveling distance. The pinacle will be the Laurel lake dam swimming area on Monday afternoon. It can be enjoyed with one adult supervising while the other two retrieve the vehicle from Hwy 27.

Be sure to bring some deet as the ticks are out all along the trail.

Have a great time and let me know if I can be of assistance in any way,
ME

hiker1
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for parking at the Stearns Ranger District on Hwy 27 it should not be a problem as long as you park in the lot facing Hwy 27.
bdpalace
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I contacted Sheltowee Trace Outfitters and we are going to use their shuttle service so we don't have to play musical cars.

I also like I.B.'s recommendation of going North to Laurel Lake dam with the water at the end of the hike as a reward. This also cuts about 9 miles off the trip which will give us more time to enjoy the area.

With that being said, is the parking area at the dam safe? Will we need a permit or do we need to contact anyone if we plan to leave the vehicles there for three nights. I would hate to finish our hike only to find the cars up on blocks or towed to some unknown location.

I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dam parking area is under the control of the corps of engineers so you can call them to ask. If they say no, you could park another 2 miles north at Holly Bay Marina parking lot.

Let me know what the shuttle charge is?

Me

bdpalace
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shuttle charge is $40.00 for the BSF area and $30.00 for the Cumberland Falls / Laurel Lake area for up to 6 people. Additional shuttlers are $10.00 per person. Not a bad deal to forego the vehicle leapfrog.

We may just leave our vehicles at the ST Outfitters and have them drop off and pick-up.

I'll post a journal of the trip when we return.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdpalace wrote:
The shuttle charge is $40.00 for the BSF area and $30.00 for the Cumberland Falls / Laurel Lake area for up to 6 people. Additional shuttlers are $10.00 per person. Not a bad deal to forego the vehicle leapfrog.

We may just leave our vehicles at the ST Outfitters and have them drop off and pick-up.

I'll post a journal of the trip when we return.

Look forward to it and hope your trip goes well. This is a great section centered on Cumberland Falls. You'll have the calm river above the falls and the rugged trail and waterfalls below the dam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be heading to a place that has the most reasonable places for hiking and at the same time you need to be aware of the right budgeting so that it can suit you big time because that is the way for it normally.
It works for me goodly and i personally find it a decent way when its about sharing it and all and getting a way out of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: