Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off-trail between Rt 32 and US 60
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Off-trail between Rt 32 and US 60 Reply with quote

I am going to be hikeing the trail from the northern terminus to the visitors center at Cave Run. To avoid the extensive road walk from route 32 to US 60, I am considering going off trail from the water tower to the trail at US 60. Has anyone tried this before me? It looks straightforward and rather easy to orient with my compas or a GPS. Any comments?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting idea. I have no experience with what the terrain is like. I would caution that this is mostly private property and you most likely would run into turkey hunters and mushroom hunters. We will be out there Saturday through Tuesday. Great weather will bring folks out.
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I checked the topos and Google earth for the terrain and it looks much like the trail north of 32. The green on the topo I thought indicated NF property which covers all but the extreem south near 60. It looks like I can skirt that area but I will scout it out before hitting the trail. Should I wear orange to alert the turkey hunters?
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first part of the road walk is a little hectic because the road is so busy. but it is also a good opportunity to grab some lunch and supplies. when you get to kroger, turn left at the light and go towards the kroger shopping center then turn right onto the quiet country road just before you go up to the kroger parking lot. that is the main part of the road walk and really isn't bad at all. it is pretty scenic and very little traffic. you take that all the way until it dead-ends at what i guess is 60, turn left and that road walk is a bit of a pain because the shoulder soon runs out so you either walk on the road with the busy traffic or in the grass on a slope. but on that section you pass a couple small stores that sell ice cream and fruit Smile
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another pointer for you... on the first paved road walk you will walk a 2 lane country road with no traffic and go over I-64. as soon as you go over the xway, take the first right onto the gravel road. naturally there aren't any blazes, but that is where you need to turn. you'll pass a house or two on your left but after that it will be absolutely nothing except forest road gates, wild life ponds, and the never-ending gravel road for miles. after several miles you'll see some blazes and the trail will leave the road. stay on the road. the trail is unmaintained in this area and you'll soon realize the trail keeps coming back down to the road, heading back into the woods, back to the road, etc. you can try the trail if you want, but i guarantee you after you fight the stickers for a quarter mile while walking parallel to the nice gravel road, you'll give up pretty soon Very Happy EVENTUALLY, the trail will lead off to the left and you actually do need to take that path. i'm pretty sure the road becomes dirt at the point, and the trail is maintained. it is pretty obvious that you need to leave the road, but like the rest of this section, don't count on blazes.
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dradius, Thanks for the info on the I-64 crossing, the lack of blazes definately would have left us wondering if we were on the right path. Will take your advise and stay on the gravel road. I'll let you know what we do at the water tower after the trip. Since we are only going to be out 3 days, the ice cream and resupply are not a big draw. Some of our 5 person party are against leaving the road so we migh just split up and try both optioins. Is lack of blazes a common problem on the trace?
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you do the peninsula trail in deam a couple months ago with the indiana WBers?
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't usually go with organisations. I am planning to do that trail with my son and nephew sometime in late May or early June. Have you been there? I'm from Philadelphia and just learning where to hike around here. My brother has lived in Lexington, KY for quite some time but I have only recently got him into hiking. He and his sons' picked the ST for our biannual backpacking trip. They plan to section hike the entire trail but I will only be joining them on occasion. My wife won't try backpacking so it is hard for me to get away.
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh okay. i hiked with a couple guys up there and one was named joe from somewhere up in indiana, i was pretty sure plymouth but maybe not... regardless, enjoy your ST trip. PM me when you get ready to go to deam if you want. i have some tips on that place and know some cool stuff not on the maps Smile
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, thanks for the offer. I wouldn't mind meeting this other joe myself.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when are you all hiking?
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are hiking in Fiday afternoon 8-10 miles before stopping for the night. My nephew has the trail guide so I am not sure where we plan to stop. Might do 20 miles on Saturday, then finish at the Morehead Visitor's Center on Sunday. At least, that is the plan. My nephew has milage fever, he wants to cover 38 miles in three days but he can't get off work until noon Friday! From the journals I gather the trail is fairly overgrown with brambles and Poison Ivy. Has that been your experience?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dradius wrote:
another pointer for you... on the first paved road walk you will walk a 2 lane country road with no traffic and go over I-64. as soon as you go over the xway, take the first right onto the gravel road. naturally there aren't any blazes, but that is where you need to turn. you'll pass a house or two on your left but after that it will be absolutely nothing except forest road gates, wild life ponds, and the never-ending gravel road for miles. after several miles you'll see some blazes and the trail will leave the road. stay on the road. the trail is unmaintained in this area and you'll soon realize the trail keeps coming back down to the road, heading back into the woods, back to the road, etc. you can try the trail if you want, but i guarantee you after you fight the stickers for a quarter mile while walking parallel to the nice gravel road, you'll give up pretty soon Very Happy EVENTUALLY, the trail will lead off to the left and you actually do need to take that path. i'm pretty sure the road becomes dirt at the point, and the trail is maintained. it is pretty obvious that you need to leave the road, but like the rest of this section, don't count on blazes.

Is this section still in need of clean up to stay on the actual trail?
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, we changed our minds, the last minute and wound up hiking in Red River Gorge. No one else wanted to bushwack and they didn't want to roadwalk. We did a section of the ST there but it was closed due to a recent wild fire. There were many blowdowns blocking the trail, making it difficult to follow but we had little choice but follow the trail because we had a ride waiting for us at the trailhead. The official RRG website had NOTHING about the trail closing so we did not find out until we arrived at the trail intersection after hiking eight miles. The choice was to hike the closed trail four miles or the alternate route of 12 miles. With injured hikers in our party and rain, the second day in a row, the choice was clear, we took the closed trail. Sorry I can't give you an update on either trail.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hikerjoe, sorry about the tough trip and hope all in the party are well. That was a serious wildfire that thankfully it was contained. It could have been *much* worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: