Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the Turtle to the Porcupines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: From the Turtle to the Porcupines. Reply with quote

Has anyone here hiked in the Porcupine Moutains? I know it is a long drive from Kentucky but if you have a mate who does not like to sleep in tents, they have cabins you can hike to. I took my wife and two kids there a few weeks ago. The mosquitoes were bad but the scenery was great. You don't need to carry a tent if you rent a cabin and they even provide bunks with matresses, pots to cook in and dishes/utensils to eat with. I would recomend you carry a butane lantern though, the candle lanterns they recommend, just did not put out enough light. If you prefer tenting or tarping, many of the sites have bear poles to hang your food bags on...no messing with getting a rope over the right branch of the right tree! In additon to the scenery, there is great trout and bass fishing on the many lakes and streams.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this located and what is the trail length?
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porcupines are located in the upper penninsula of Michigan on the shore of Lake Superior, west, almost to the Wisconsin border. The full name is Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. We hiked a loop of 23 miles but there are many trails, including a portion of the North Country Scenic Trail. The Lake Superior trail is about 17 miles long and is said to be quite rugged. In additon, there are many other trails that can be combined to form loops of various lenghts. You can find additional information at www.michigan.gov/dnr. I am always looking for good backpacking sites in the midwest. The ST and RRG are much closer than the Porkies, but it is one additional option for those seeking variety.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound like a good area to get some variety. Thanks for sharing the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: