Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bark Camp?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Bark Camp? Reply with quote

I've read at numerous places that the bridge at Bark Camp Creek is out. Is this still true? If so, what would it take to get the forest service and/or volunteers to fix it. Just curious. Since I live in Corbin me and my dad plan t hike at Bark Camp (he remembers it from his childhood so its a little sentimental) sometime soon, but I was curious to the conditions.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I think it's still out....but there's a rope to guide one across the rocks.
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We couldn't find the rope. But since we were hiking out and back we figured out that we didn't really need to cross the creek (though I really wanted to see where the shelter was for future references...oh well). I always carry a pretty expensive camera with me so I'm a little more careful of boulder hopping than most.

I'm still wondering if there is a way to help get the forest service to repair/build a new bridge.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veela-valoom wrote:

I'm still wondering if there is a way to help get the forest service to repair/build a new bridge.

Probably the first thing to do is make sure they are aware that the bridge is out. If they do know and it hasn't been rebuilt maybe they don't want it rebuilt for some reason. Maybe they know but haven't had the funding to rebuild. Maybe they could provide funding for materilas but need help with labor.

Can you contact the local district and see what they have to say about the bridge. If it is a funding problem we could start a campaign to get funding based on the list that Traildust has posted somewhere around here.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Bridge Out Reply with quote

Talked with the new supervisor, Eloyce Promenschenkel, who has been on the job there for three weeks. She was not aware the bridge was out. She will talk with staff and get back to me on Monday with some guidance on how we can help. This will take a little time and most likely will require fundraising or donations of lumber. Would be helpful if anyone has a picture of the old bridge so we have an idea what we are talking about.

Stay tuned. Thanks for letting us know this is an issue.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bridge Out Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
Would be helpful if anyone has a picture of the old bridge so we have an idea what we are talking about.

Traildust,

I found this page. Scroll down a ways and there is a picture of a bridge along with a mention of the Sheltowee trail
http://exploringoutdoorskentucky.com/Exploring/Central/Bark%20Camp%20Cr/bark-camp.htm
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Thanks JBD Reply with quote

Thanks so much.

I was in Carlisle area the other day. You live downtown or out on a farm?
We need to have dinner in a diner over there sometime.

traildust
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bridge Out Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
Traildust wrote:
Would be helpful if anyone has a picture of the old bridge so we have an idea what we are talking about.

Traildust,

I found this page. Scroll down a ways and there is a picture of a bridge along with a mention of the Sheltowee trail
http://exploringoutdoorskentucky.com/Exploring/Central/Bark%20Camp%20Cr/bark-camp.htm

Seems this bridge may have been out of service since 2005! Or was it rebuilt and then washed out again? Anyone hiked in this area in 06 or 07 that can help with info?
Gpbutler
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hiked this section in the summer of 2008 and the bridge was out, but it was pretty easy to cross. I actually saw some guys in horses cross the rocks, as long as the creek is not flooded it is pretty easy to get to the other side without getting wet.
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was out in 07 too. But as others have said, it really doesn't need a bridge unless the water is raging and then it washes out the bridge so...

Me

Outcasthiker
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Bridge is still out! Reply with quote

We just hiked that section. Bark camp shelter is still in good shape. You can ford the river at the cascades without too much problem. There is about five foot of the bridge left and we have pictures at outcasthiker.com.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the photos. Thanks. They are planning on a larger bridge higher up the hill. Of course its been out for over 5 years and folks make due. Still we hope they will come (USFS) will follow through.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come I am the only person who could not find my way across the creek??
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not going to happen anytime soon. They got a bid after the engineering work was done and it came back at $250,000.00. No chance. The FS is looking at some other plan.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
mrhughes1982
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veela-valoom wrote:
How come I am the only person who could not find my way across the creek??

LOL! I did a solo trip from south to the Falls from Lake Laural and got across. Had to through my stuff across, go bare foot and once again my trusty Leki's got me across during some decent rain and water from the days before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: