Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bikepacking Sheltowee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckc1971
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty, that was the plan. Did you ever frequent singletrack.net or the kymba.org forum? I think I remember a smitty on one or the other.

I know Slomo. He's currently wrenching at Cycler's Cafe in Louisville.

If you are interested in participating in the re-con trips or full trip, let me know.

Mostly likely, I will do one of those lightweight alcohol "can" stoves with a fair amount of eating cold food along the way.

chuckc1971ATinsightbbDOTcom
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I do post on Kymba a little and have read singletrack.com from time to time I dont know if you are a racer or not but we put on the race at England Idle Wild near cincy (EI what the locals call it). I am the owner of Smitty's Cyclery.

Anthony has a real job? lol the boy is fast I know a few people from your neck of the woods just from racing over the years. I will shoot you a email I would not mind hitting some of the recon rides.

If I can get the time off I plan on doing the trace too, I will bring a small white gas stove, I have to have my morning coffee Very Happy . Let me know what hear about the Jenny Wiley trail I remember it first opening but they did not let MTB on it and I have heard it is now closed. Really to bad the more trails the better.
bike bFAT
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All!
I have been lurking here for a while; it has relit a little muse. I am familiar with the ST mostly up around Cave Run area (ST-Clack mtn loop & Clear Creek out and back). Glad to read here that the northern terminus has been opened back up – I will be checkin that out real soon.

Though thoughts of putting together a crossing usually get crushed by my “tolerance of frustration” (thanks Boyd), I find the gears turning again. 5 days or 5 trips it all depends on how the planets line up. Fuzzy visions of daylong singletrack and nighttime motels:

Day 1 Northern Terminus to Moorhead 23miles
Day2 Moorhead to Nat. Bridge SP 51miles
Day3 Natural Bridge to I-75 83miles
Day4 I-75 to Cumberland Falls SP 41miles
Day5 Cumberland Falls to ~ TN 53miles

I have already put in a few recon trips, you can check those at the bikebFAT site

BTW from what I have seen the Jenny Wiley trail is no more. Around Jenny Wiley SP (where the trail was more prevalent) it has been abandoned. It is now a “scenic drive” type “trail” with road signs along the designated routes. I have never been able to find a the northen section of trail that leads to the Ohio River

chuckc1971
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Do you know of a mostly singletrack, doubletrack, fireroad, etc. way around RRG and/or Covered Bridge?
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm really glad to hear about the Northern section. Oh, and you guys biking thru in 5 days suck. It'll probably take me 20 days to walk it Wink
bike bFAT
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going thru the Napa tunnel in the Red (rts 77 & 11), it follows the lay of the land (climbs to tunnel - descends to Natural Bridge) at the end of a long day, won’t be a bummer to miss some trail. Covered (?) Bridge, is there another section off limits that I don’t know about? Going out of Natural Bridge will be road detour of about 4 miles (rt11 to Sterling Road)
chuckc1971
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat, senior moment.

Yes, I meant Natural Bridge. We have a Covered Bridge road here in Louisville and I transposed the name while half asleep.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike bFAT wrote:
Hey All!
I have been lurking here for a while; it has relit a little muse.

Welcome! And cool site...looks like you've biked a lot of the ST. Have you heard about the mtb trails around Barbourville, KY? I thought that's where you were from at first, but it's Barboursville, WV.

As for going around the Red; it's a bummer. You've got beautiful terrain that'll be missed, plus the Mountain Parkway pinches access across the area. The best way is to dipout south of Natural Bridge at Sterling Road and then take KY-11 to KY-15 to KY-77 to Corner Ridge. Another option would be to push through the park since it's only about 2 miles and most ridge or downhill, but then it's still a road haul past Corner Ridge to Long Branch, which is well-used jeep trail.

Spdbmp66
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smitty, When I used to race for Suburban years ago a bunch of us did the morning training ride out of Hyde Park on Sunday mornings. Occasionally John Stamsted would show up on his MTB/Hybrid and kick our butts as a warm up for "his" ride. Cool guy and a real beast on a bike.
For those who don't know John Stamsted, the now-retired Michael Jordan of endurance mountain biking, besides winning the Iditarod bike race several times set the original Great Divide Route (2,490 miles) speed record in 1999 when he blazed it in a seemingly impossible 18 days, 5 hours (most riders take two months or more).

US inventor (1847 - 1931)
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spdbmp66 John was a bad man on the bike I raced and worked for John many times. Ultra marathon god in my book. His trans rockie set up is what I plan on using as far as where and how he placed his bags.
bike bFAT
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Years day and the North Terminus, Miles 14-0; I got to check out the work that the Morehead crew wooped up. Still need to hone those log hopping skills, as there where quite a few logs left. Not a particular glamorous 14 miles of trails, but need to get sections like this under the belt. I was traveling with another rider w/slower pace, lots of map and blaze checking and some wrong turns, put the first 14 miles in around 4 hours. Some fat to trim here.

Photos and recap at the link below under the 1/1 post.

Boyd - I would be interested on getting some info on the Barbourville trails, i work in that area from time to time.

smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Cromer ridge I75 South Reply with quote

Well I rode the Cromer ridge section from I75 south almost to ky80. If anyone is traveling the trail in this direction becareful we got lost atleast one time and the Sheltowee trace Blazes and few and far between I did notice on the way back the trail was blaved much better.

Does anyone have accurate GPS data on this section? I Have orderd mine and plan on getting good GPS data on these sections that are not marked well.

Once you get onto single track the trail is amazing!!!! One of the best sections actualy I love the trail from here to Laurel lake.

Forf more info

http://www.smittys-team.com/Forum/index.php?topic=675.0
chuckc1971
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on here in a while. Been sidetracked by ice storms, heavy workload, etc.

One thing that I have been able to do is start my blog which will detail my trip eventually. Planning on first week in September. Have one local adventure racer signed up and more debating whether they are crazy enough. Blog is mostly intro and gear discussion, but will progress as I get some recon rides in.

http://www.bikeclicks.com/Blogs/tabid/2003/BlogID/46/Default.aspx

We were scheduled to hit the Northern Terminus the weekend after the ice storm. I could have actually made it, but leaving the wife and kids to refuel the generator probably would have led to doghouse or divorce upon my return. Plus, I have no idea what the conditions were (or are) up there. I see Natural Bridge cancelled a hiking event. Doesn't sound good. May look into doing recon rides further south for now.

It's pretty clear to myself and especially my riding buddy that we would like to be riding the entire time which will mean routing around Natural Bridge, RRG and perhaps the Southern Terminus. We may also steer clear of five miles of pushing when we can do five miles of non-road riding. Of course, some pushing will be necessary, but to just push and push with no ride is not what we are after.

We will definitely start at the Northern Terminus and have secured safe parking for a vehicle, but still have to figure out the end point. As noted above, this largely depends on bike legality.

Anyway, if anyone has any recent trail reports, feel free to post on this thread or another.

Thanks!
[/url]
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am; Chuck's crazy pal from Jackson County. I guess that I have mtb'd on at least part of all the sections of the trail. I'm looking foreward to the trip.

About a month ago, four of us rode the Sheltowee from the Cumberland Parkway (at London) to the US421 crossing at McKee. The Jackson county section was mess, especially the part from Horse Lick to Stree. The rainy season(s) definately need to be avoided!

Cuck and I plan to preride as many sections as possible this spring and summer. I'm tenatively planning on doing a 80-100 mile two day/one night trip at the end of this month.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new dd travel hammock delivered in the mail today. Took a test nap in the back yard. I think I should be able to get a overnight kit together in my adv race pack (daypack size). I'm going to do a lazy 2day/1night trip soon and start working on my gearlist for the big trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: