Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Map Info Reply with quote

I was looking at map 29 which i believe takes you off the trail and down the road into Morehead. Can someone who has hiked this section confirm that. Where does the trail come out heading north to south? Any landmarks that someone can share. I may drive down there one day to check it out.

If true, then I would want to ask the Forest Service folks why this is since according to the map, the National Forest extends across the road and it would be safer to stay off that busy highway.

A curious thru-hiker
traildust
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually does come right out onto US32 in a fairly busy spot. The trail then follows the road under 64 then loops back around the opposite direction. The trail must cross 32 which is busy but the way that it is currently routed wastes a few miles and is much more dangerous. There is an easy alternate route that crosses the US32 then cuts through before the interstate which saves a few road walking miles and eliminates the very tight squeeze of walking under I64 and through traffic.

If you'd like to hike it you can park across the street at the Perkins Center and try not to die when crossing US32. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Chilton on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I am sure that the land across the street is private property, there are houses and even a subdivision between there now a days. Besides that it's not blazed.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: trail info Reply with quote

Thanks for the great response and all the pictures. Of course we all need to be cautious around major roads. interesting that on the A.T. , especially in the Cumberland Valley in PA the trail crosses several major highways and funding was secured to build pedestrian bridges across them.

thanks again.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Trail Info Reply with quote

Looking at the description and photos submitted in response to this topic, i still, in looking at map 29 i see the trail come out on 32 near the water tower. Then it seems to run down the side of 32 into Morehead and then turn right and follow 60 down to Triplett. I assume the maps are correct represenation of the trail. Having not hiked this section I am hoping what I am reading on the map is correct. Thanks again for the help.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Traildust,

That's a hard part to read from the maps.

From North to South, as you approach KY-32, you'll drop down a gully to this four-lane highway at the apex of the saddle. Look at the photo above: IMG_1165.jpg. It's a tricky intersection with no signs and it might appear like the trail peters out.

At 32, you hang a right and go north a bit and cross under I-64. You then take a left on a county road along the N. Fork and head southwest (again passing under I-64) until you reach Bluestone. There you'll follow some local roads to reach US 60. Take a left and walk this uncomfortable road east about a mile to a large field and the suspension bridge across Triplett Creek. Hike south into Cave Run.

This section is probably the worst for it's lack of signage and unpleasant traffic along KY-32 and US-60, but it can be done in a few hours. Once you're in Cave Run, things are sweet again.

Boyd

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Trail Info Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional directions. What can we do to improve the signage at least? Ideally it would be nice to get the Forest Service folks on board to relocate the trail off these roads. All takes time. Has anyone sat down with the Forest Service folks lately and discussed the long term needs of the trail? I don't want to assume no one has been active because from the post here I can see there are many strong voices out there.

Off to the Northern Terminus to help with maintenance on the beautiful Saturday.

traildust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: