Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visiting hiker needs help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wally
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: visiting hiker needs help Reply with quote

two of us plan to hike about 25 miles of the trail in mid september during the week. we are experienced backpackers and would like some suggestions on the more scenic part of the trail to hike. we can set our own shuttle so info on where to leave cars would be appreciated.
thank you, wally
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: 25 miles during the week Reply with quote

Welcome Wally,
This question should get as many responses as there are responders.

Good-Southern terminus in TN to Yamacraw is about 30 miles. Rock creek is very scenic. Yamacraw a little sketchy to leave car but I have done it often with no problems. Leave worst car at Yamacraw Bridge. Pros- Rock creek. Cons- parking at Yamacraw.

Better-Cumberland falls to Holley bay marina ~25 miles. Pros- very scenic better parking on both ends. Cons- would be a shame to visit Sheltowee and not see Red river gorge.

Best-Natural Bridge north to Gladie creek about 12 miles. Backtrack to grays’ arch turnoff and make loop back to grays’ arch parking area then backtrack to natural bridge parking area total trip about 27 miles including walking up to natural arch and taking chair lift down and back up. Pros- Only one car needed and secure area in park to leave vehicle. Red river gorge is fabulous. Cons- only covering 12 miles of the Sheltowee. Would be a shame to visit Sheltowee and not see Cumberland falls.

Maybe do "best" then make a side trip to see Cumberland falls and hike a few trails there too.

wally
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.B.ME, thanks for the quick reply. from reading this forum and studying the maps i had kind of honed in on the best area you describe. i was thinking a one way hike from natual arch vicinity to 460 vicinity and shuttling cars. i like to be in the wilderness rather than on roads and avoid crowds. would you please share your opinion on this one way idea. how is water sources along here. if you think your suggestion to go to gladie and back to grays arch is better, please help me with more specifics...for instance how far up gladie creek is good hiking, do you take rough trail to grays arch, and any other suggestions. where are nice primitive camp sites.
thank you, wally
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally,
Gladie creek is only a couple miles from where the ST meets up with corner ridge road. From corner ridge to hwy460 is all road walk and like you, roads are not my favorite part of the trail.

As for water sources: Whitten branch, Gladie creek and Red River are always running. There are also many smaller streams and springs flowing across the trail on this section. The only place where water is not available is from when you climb out of Whitten branch trail until you decend Rough trail about 3 miles total.

Camp sites are plentiful in the Red River gorge area. This area gets a lot of use on weekends and I would not reccomend it for weekend travel if you want solitude. Any onther place on the ST would be better on the weekend for peace and quiet. Be sure to camp off of the trail. Rangers do patrol weekends for those camped too close and some camp literally on the trails.

As for which trails to hike in the gorge... All are fabulous. Look up a map of the Red River Gorge or look at www.kywilderness.com to get a map and just make loops from the map. A nice one that I do at least once a year is called Auxier ridge. It is just a few miles down tunnel ridge road from grays arch parking area and is about a five mile loop or as you will see on your map, it can be used to make an even bigger loop. Auxier ridge trail is also dry so carry plenty of water. You could easily spend a week in the gorge without getting bored. Stay away from the cliff edges, every year a person or two stumbles off the edge of these overlooks and dies or nearly does so. You probably will not be impaired so that helps your chances but not all who fall have been drinking.

Most of the trails in the gorge are not on any map. They are small foot paths leading to bushwhacks that the college kids make leading to campsites that few people know about. If you follow any of these paths, I just about garantee you will find a campsite if you can follow the nearly invisible and nearly impassible trails. Take heart most of the campsites are easy access but on the summer weekends the easy ones fill up quick and the rough ones are used or created.

If you are dead set on shuttling or just want to knock out some trail miles all on the ST, you may go for the "good" option and hit the gorge on another trip. The ST goes through the gorge but misses some of the most scenic parts.

If you park overnight in the gorge (specifically any vehicle parked north of Hwy11) you must purchase a parking pass available from the rangers station or at some of the stores nearby. If you park at natural bridge (south of hwy11), no pass is required.

I hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you need any more information. I don't check the board everyday but almost.

halliwood
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done a lot of the ST, but all that I have done has been amazing, and I'm with I.B.Me and say that its a shame to miss RRG or Cumberland falls, as for me personally RRG is one of my favorite places in the world! I've only spent one night in camping in the back country off of the ST. and it was really nice, but there's just so much to see around the Gorge that it's really hard to just stay on ST. But if your main concern is staying with the Trace I would do Cumberland Falls, that was the last place on the ST that I did and it was also amazing. And if you do decide on the cumberland falls section of the trail I would shot to be around the falls sometime around the 12th through the 17th if I'm reading it correctly those would be times that your most likely to witness the moonbow, the only draw back is it does bring in a crowd from time to time.
wally
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice and tips. sounds like the best scenario as outlined by i.b.me is what we will start with. we are practiced bushwackers and it sounds like we just need to start at natural bridge and be flexible and stay off the roads as much as possible. we'll just follow the scenery and camp when it gets evening time.
thanks for the help.
wally
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wally,
Hope your trip planning is going well. I would agree with I.B.Me's assessment of the nice trail sections along the Sheltowee.

You can't go wrong with doing a loop through the Red River Gorge. Starting at Natural Bridge State Park, you could hike north to the Gray's Arch Trailhead and you could do a 10-mile loop there that visits D. Boone Cave and Chimney Top Creek, and then 'sling-shot' north to Gladie, crossing the largest suspension bridge on the ST. You will find many side trails off the official trails, which either visit campsites or overlooks. That's the RRG trails in a nutshell: scenic overlooks and camping.

The only concern is that it might be busy with hikers on the weekends, but during the week, I'd suspect that you're mostly alone. Here's a 3D map of the Red River Gorge that shows the official trails, trailheads, and major scenic areas: http://www.outrageGIS.com/gorge/3d

The ST from the Southern Terminus to Yamacraw is a great hike too and much less used. You could also link up with the John Muir Trail and create some great loops using just one car. The topography is about the same as the RRG, but maybe a tad grander and a little wilder. You won't find as many nice side-trails to camps, but you will find nice camps on the trail every couple miles or so.

The only concern is lack of water on ridge trails during the fall, but it's easy enough to just camp near a stream. Here's a another 3D map of the Big South Fork that shows the official trails and trailheads south of Blue Heron: http://www.outrageGIS.com/bigsouthfork/demo

Hope this helps and please tell us how your trip goes.

Boyd

wally
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyd, thanks for your reply. i really like the 3d map of the gorge. it puts the trails in perspective. it seems that water is within hiking distance in most of the areas of the rrg. we here in arkansas have had a wet summer so most creeks have good water. what is the situation around the rrg. i filter drinking water and have had to use some pretty raunchy sources at times. i don't like to carry more than two quarts with me. will that be a problem this time of year. one more question. we plan to meet and park at the natural bridge area. where exactly do you leave a car for 4 nights and where is a nice campsite within about 4 to 5 miles of the car. we will probabaly hit the trail around 1 pm.
thanks, wally

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain section that is into hiking and because arranging every little thing for them is the need because they need to be having all the basics that goes and keeps everything in order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: