Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

biking from Nothern Terminus to Morehead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halliwood
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: biking from Nothern Terminus to Morehead Reply with quote

was wondering if it was a good idea to try to bike from northern Terminus to Morehead, I have bike some of ST around cave run, but haven't been east of there. I saw the before and after pictures of the clearing that some have done on the northern terminus and it looks like an awesome place to ride (great job guys on the hard work). So I was just wondering if it was allowed on this section of the trail, and if so is it practical?
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking is allowed and encouraged to help keep the trail open. Maybe someone who bikes can tell you if it is practical?

There are still a few logs lying on the trail here and there. Some were cut but not moved as you get just north of I-64. I am sure it will be no problem for a skilled rider like yourself to jump these Smile . On a pleasant note, the bike will make the gravel (FS977) much easier.

Also there are two fences to cross just south of dry branch entering and exiting private land. They are low and easy to cross.

I last walked this part in July and there were a few briars beginning to close in on the trail so you may want to wear long pants.

Rick

I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Welcome to the site Halliwood.

Be sure and drop a note about your ride here when you finish to encourage the rest of the bikers on the site.

halliwood
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great news, thinks for the reply, and about the briars beginning to close in on the trail, I'll take your tip about wearing long pants (I hate briars, and poison ivy) but I dont think I'll be rushed when I'm out there so maybe I'll clip my machete on my side for when I get to them I can do some maintenance so other bikers and even hikers wont have to worry to much. I have yet decided if I want to do it just as a one day trip or if I want to camp out somewhere on that trail, but I'll def. post up my experience with biking that section and hopefully have plenty of pictures to go along with it.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halliwood, I hiked south a few miles from the northern terminus back in May, and I thought then that this section would be a sweet ride. This trail is mostly curvy ridge tops.

As I.B. Me mentioned, there's a considerable gravel road section, but it peters out as you approach Ky-32. There's a some side atv trails that peel off the southern section (mostly illegal I'm sure) and would provide some side trips.

Given the lack of rain, I suspect the trail is perfect.

bike bFAT
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Years day and the North Terminus, Miles 14-0; I got to check out the work that the Morehead crew wooped up. Still need to hone those log hopping skills, as there where quite a few logs left. Not a particular glamorous 14 miles of trails, but need to get sections like this under the belt. I was traveling with another rider w/slower pace, lots of map and blaze checking and some wrong turns, put the first 14 miles in around 4 hours. Some fat to trim here.

Photos and recap at the link below under the 1/1 post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking stays decent with majority of the ways and also with everything that lets someone in getting that which is there.
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornelius appear to be a "Hack".

Gene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: