Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day ten: Laurel Lake to Hwy 27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> I. B. Me
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Day ten: Laurel Lake to Hwy 27 Reply with quote

Day 10 Monday 7/9/07
At 6:00am I awoke with a lake swim. The water was warmer than the ambient air temperature and felt great! I noticed that the lake seemed abandoned. I guess the lake is only busy on the weekends. At 7:02am I ate the last two pieces of pizza for breakfast and broke camp to start my daily trek. I started early to get a jump on the heat of the day. I noticed that I consume about 1 liter per 4 miles when the temps are under 90 and about twice amount that when it is over 90. At the mouth of Laurel boat ramp I paused to speak with an elderly gentleman who was walking to recover from heart surgery. He had a couple of aggressive dogs with him and said this is about the only flat spot around for him to exercise. He was intrigued with my endeavor and stated that 75 miles is not much to go. After we parted, I wondered if he had walked a lot in his younger years because to most people 75 miles is still a lengthy walk.
Between Bark Camp shelter and Star Creek shelter I encountered a doe with a fawn nursing. I was able to get a photo by pretending not to see her and not making eye contact until I was ready to take the photo. Although I turned the flash off, she bolted when I took the photo. The doe ran ahead and the fawn ran into cover near the Cumberland River. When I reached Cumberland Falls I ordered a cheeseburger, fries, ice water and a milkshake from the snack bar. Several people there engaged me in conversation as to how far I had come and where I was going. I guess after 10 days of not shaving, barely bathing and washing my clothes in the rivers and lakes, I looked like I had a story to tell. One gentleman about 50 said he had been hiking in the Smokey’s but could only average about 14 miles per day. He said he was planning to do the Sheltowee next summer from hwy 60 to Pickett. Another interesting conversation was with an Amish young man and his family’s driver. The Amish guy was about 25 and in good shape but he could not understand why anyone would walk for recreation? After an extended lunch break, I filled my water bottles at the restroom sink and continued southward. Not long after leaving the falls, I received a taste of what was to come when it began to sprinkle rain. The rain only lasted a few minutes but was ironic that the thunder started as I stepped onto Thunderstruck Road. The rain was enough to make the grass wet and thus soak my boots. Even my trusty waterproof Timberlands will soak through if you walk in rain or wet grass long enough. As the daylight grew dim, I washed up at a small creek and found a spot to hang my hammock. My supper of noodles and chicken meat would almost empty my food sack. I took inventory and was glad to have hung a bear bag near hwy 27 only a few miles ahead. I recorded a whip-or-will only a few yards from my hammock serenading me to sleep. Data for day ten: 27.9 trail miles hiked, 0.0 extra miles hiked, moving time 10:18, stopped time 3:32, average moving speed 2.7 mph, total average speed 2.0 mph.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> I. B. Me All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: