Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day six: Heidelberg to Turkey Foot (without Jack)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> I. B. Me
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Day six: Heidelberg to Turkey Foot (without Jack) Reply with quote

Day 6 Thursday 7/5/07
I left Jack at the house at 9:42am. With steady rain falling I was not in a hurry to get started. I dropped my truck at I-75 and drove the car to Heidelberg. I was back on the trail at 2:23pm and enduring another long road walk. Due to the hot weather, I did add another liter to my water supply (four liters total) so I would not have to stop as often to pump water.
It is hard to imagine how far navigation has progressed in just 8 short years. When Ryan and I hiked the trail, we only had the large topo maps and a compass to guide us. The maps needed to thru-hike the trail might weigh five pounds. We had to follow the map closely and estimate mileages and make corrections at road crossings. This trip I have the maps that I ripped out of a Kentucky road atlas (four pages total), a partial copy of the trail guide that Mr. Molloy wrote going from South to North (the opposite direction of travel) and I have a GPS unit with some waypoints and pieces of tracks that I downloaded from the web. This particular section was not on the GPS because the file was too large to fit into my Garmin unit. I vaguely remember some of the trail but I found myself bewildered from time to time due to poor navigation. After an uneventful day, I kept looking for the good camping spot that Johnny Molloy mentions in his trail guide but I never did find it. I don’t like hiking at night but it’s not foreign to me either. When the lightning bugs start glowing, I get desperate to find a home for the night. Finally at 9:35pm, nearing Turkey Foot Campground, I made dry camp on a steep hillside. Thank God for the Hennessy hammock tent. It allows any two trees approximately 16 feet apart to be a level campsite.
This was the first day that I can remember my left knee giving me problems. It had a burning sensation just above the kneecap for a couple of hours. When I was 13, I was run over by the rear wheel of a 72’ Chevy station wagon. It crushed my left foot and my knee has ever since ached after extended use. I prayed for the strength to finish the trail and it stopped hurting almost immediately. Data for day six: 18.6 trail miles hiked, 0.0 extra miles hiked, moving time 6:29, stopped time 1:02, average moving speed 2.9 mph, total average speed 2.5 mph.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> I. B. Me All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: