Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Section hiking from 75 to Mckee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Section hiking from 75 to Mckee Reply with quote

I have next week off work and was considering hiking from exit 49 on I75 up to Mckee. I've never seen Horse Lick Creek and the rain and high water lately has me concerned. What is it like fording or do I even need to ford? Is there an alternate route during high water?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me respond in case you have not done this section. This section starts with a road walk over to Wildcat. You then go from Wildcat on a nice trail tread over to Hazel Patch then Winding Blade before you go back into the woods. From the woods you pop out on Rt 490 and hike down to the Rockcastle River and then turn onto Rt 89 for a road walk over to White Oak Branch at Jackson County line (a one lane wooden bridge).

Horse Lick Creek as of this time is almost at normal flow. Last week it would have been a 3 ft deep crossing. It is now back to 18 inches or less.

The trail comes out on a gravel road then up to S-Tree area then back in woods down to Rt 421. You road walk toward McKee.

If you still need advise or help please let me know. thanks for your interest in the Trace.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I did not get to hike that section yet due to the weather and family medical issues. My thoughts were to cross the bridge into Jackson Co and stay on 89, possibly taking Robinson Creek over to S-tree. Right now, it looks like I'll be on the trail at the end of May and won't have to bypass any areas of the trace. Thanks again!
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to complete this section last week. I found no problems along the way other than the usual ATV mud holes. Horse Lick was maybe 10" deep at the most since we hadn't had much rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: