Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I-75 north to S-Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: I-75 north to S-Tree Reply with quote

My wife and I hiked this stretch over the weekend. There are a couple of problem spots that others might like to know about. All mileage references are to the OutrageGIS STT South map.

Wildcat Road, about 112 thru 115, is no problem. But at the east end, right about 115.0, the road becomes paved and you see a large vehicle graveyard with trash of all kinds. Then there is a house on the left. Across from it, a padlocked mobile home. While we were occupied with the barking dog at the house, two others rushed out from underneath the mobile home and one bit my wife on the calf. Two layers of socks plus pants prevented the skin from being broken, but WATCH OUT for these guys.

Next time, I don't forget the pepper spray.

Saturday was nice, and there were lots of ATVers out from 123.5, White Oak Branch Road, and northwards. They were all friendly and I am trying not to be angry at them for the trail conditions . . . which were annoying. Many mudholes, especially between 127 and 130.5. Often tricky to get around on foot.

And, do they rip down our turtle blazes? This whole section was poorly blazed.

Map Issue: At 129.0 the OutrageGIS map shows the STT crossing to the north side of Horse Lick Creek until recrossing at the big ford at 130.5. We initially ignored the map and stayed on the south side, based on one faded diamond blaze, until 129.8. At that point we gave up since the track was unmarked, overgrown, and seemed to be turning south away from the creek. We went back to 129.0, crossed, and followed the forest road to 130.4. Upon recrossing, we found incoming STT markings and realized we should have stayed on the south side the whole time.

So, the map is incorrect for this stretch. The written STT Thruhikers trail guide, however, is correct.

Makes me want to do it again and put up some turtles!

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping this up
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review.

Yep that dog is trouble. We are going to head out and speak with owner. We know it is a hassle but if a dog bites you, we strongly recommend you contact the police or sheriff's office and file a report.

As for blazing, we have this section on the list for blazing before September. We want to pain on blazes since someone seems to be stealing plastic ones.

Yes we are aware that the map doesn't jive with reality. The updated south map will reflect the south side route.

Thanks for the report.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: