Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thru hiking the sheltowee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jtsvec
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Thru hiking the sheltowee Reply with quote

I'm going to be thru hiking this for the first time this summer. How long does it normally take? How many miles a day is normal? How do you resupply during it? Is there a guide book I can buy? Does it matter on which direction you hike, either south to north, or north to south? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear of your pending end to end hike of the Trace. Let me try to answer some of your questions..

1. How long does it normally take? 21 to 30 days. The Trace is now 307 miles, with the Southern Terminus at Leatherwood Ford in the Big South Fork.

2. How many miles per day? Depends on your conditioning and experience. On average you can do 12 to 15 mile per day if experienced and in reasonable physical condition.

3. There are several small towns and bigger towns where you can resupply. Best to mail ahead food drops at several post offices or use one of the Sheltowee Trace Associations "trail angels" to bring you a package.

4. Trail guide - Yes, the Sheltowee Trace Association www.sheltoweetrace.org sells a trailguide and maps which are most helpful. Cost is $15.00 for each. You should also purchase the Big South Fork map 2013 version from Trails Illustrated to do the miles in the Big South Fork.
Send email to director@sheltoweetrace.org if you want to purchase maps or guidebook. You can pay using the STA paypal account - tradingpost@sheltoweetrace.org

5. Direction - Since you say you are starting in the summer, the direction really is up to you. There are more road miles in the North, above I-75 so you might want to get these done early. Water is an issue in the summer if the creeks dry up or if we get serious rain.

let me know if you need additional help in planning your hike.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
RAIDER
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thru hiking the sheltowee Reply with quote

I Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2013 and now looking to do something closer to home. I plan on Thru-hiking the Sheltowee as well. Not sure of the exact date I'll start my hike (sometime late spring or early summer), but maybe we will run into each other on the trail. I understand you can go days without seeing another hiker.
Jtsvec
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust, what is a trail angel? I need all the help I can get planning this, as it's my first large trip. Raider, depending on the time you go, I might see you! The date I go on really depends on my hiking partner, who has 2 weeks where he is gone. I might end up soloing this! Haha
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trail Angels are volunteers who live near the trail and are available to help hikers with food drops, shuttle, pick up for ride into town or back to trail.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: