Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you guys done?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> 2013 STA Hiker Challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Are you guys done? Reply with quote

How did the hiker challenge end and did anybody measure the length of the Trace?

chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are finished. I saw from someone the length is 307 miles. I'm not sure if they were measuring with GPS or Pedometer or other device.

When I hiked it I got exactly 315 miles. I measured with my GPS but not by adding up my miles at the end of each day. Instead, I imported my tracks into a mapping program and deleted any spots where I stopped and had lunch or rested or got turned around. That deleted any extra milage. In the mapping program, I then randomly measured different points and compared them to the guidebook and they are right on target with the guidebook's measurements.

I also had my GPS on the most sensitive mode so the track I made would match every curve in the trail as much as possible. Before my thru hike I imported a few of my day hikes into the program and the track I made did not resemble the trail at all…they were sort of choppy, after some research I learned this was because my GPS wasn't sending signals as often as it could have…so that is why I put it on the most sensitive mode…it helped create a more accurate track. (You probably already know all this stuff, but I'm just adding it for someone else's sake who might not know).

So, I'm not sure why I got more miles… Question

If you would like a copy of my files, I'll be happy to send them to you…but they are huge so I'll probably need to write them to a CD.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyd,

The GPS guys (the primary was the one who died) did not finish their GPS tracking for distance so we are sticking with 307 for the moment. But if Chester has better data and it is 315 we would be interested in your verifying that data. At any rate, in 2014 the Morehead Reroute will go through and be done as will the further extension of the ST in the south at Big South Fork where we will get to the Burnt Mills Bridge area at the end of Honey Creek Loop.

For this year we are saying 307 and are printing decals with that number.

steve

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: 2014 Hiker Challenge Reply with quote

Hey Boyd when you have a moment can you open a 2014 Hiker Challenge page for us? thanks. we begin again south to north the second and third weekends of Jan.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, do you think there would be any interest in doing a weekday hiker challenge group?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> 2013 STA Hiker Challenge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: