Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern Terminus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodyfx351
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Northern Terminus Reply with quote

Started a section hike of the ST yesterday with the beginning at the Northern Terminus. We ran into a trail maintenance crew and they asked us to report on any bad conditions of the trail. On Section 1, from the North end point to the Dry Ridge section end, about midway in that section the trail seems to be over grown with lots of briers and thorn bushes. I know it is a bad part to try and do trail work on because mid-way of that hike there is 5 miles and then another 5 miles out but there are a couple of places that seem to take over the trail. If I had known, we would have brought snips and took care of it ourselves...definitely something I can think about in the future. Also, (total guessing, not accurate) about 3 miles from the Dry ridge exit (section end) there was a big area of downed trees that some have already begun to make a path around. We took the path and tried to clear some of the smaller debris, but the large stuff will need a chain saw for sure. Sections 2 (Dry Ridge to Holly Fork) and Section3 (Holly Fork to Highway 799 near I-64) seemed to be ok, after some recent rains the trail was a bit muddy and hills were harder to climb, but besides that, no major issues.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey woodfx351 thanks for the report and it was nice to meet you. Hope you enjoyed the trail so far.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report and confirmation of the conditions in the middle of the NT to Dry Branch section. We will be on that section when the weather improves before the next growing season.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
woodyfx351
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure no problem. The trail is great. Really trying to knock the whole thing out this year. Hope to hit sections 4 and 5 next weekend. I plan to bring some clippers and help clearing it out if needed. Btw tried to donate on the .org site, but it seems to not be working. I tried with different browsers and everything. I don't mind mailing in but maybe something to look into for your site admin.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the .org site. We have had some trouble there. Best to mail in or go direct to paypal and send through Paypal to our site tradingpost@sheltoweetrace.org.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
woodyfx351
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I design websites with my spare time or for friends. Let me know if you guys need any help.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyfx351. Help yes we can use help. Email me at director@sheltoweetrace.org or call me 6065847744 so we can talk.

thanks so much

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely would appreciate your help with website matters and of course any clipping and trimming you can do along the trail as you are hiking.
stoicjohn
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hiked the Northern Terminus to Dry Branch Rd today and everything was in good shape. The briars tried to eat me near the 3 mile mark but it's nothing some tall socks wouldn't have stopped.

/Anyway I drive my wife to the Dry Branch trail head to make it easier for her to find me later and I assume it's the house with the double turtle blazes at the end of the drive. Turns out the trail crosses Dry Branch at a house about a half-mile away from that house. Both sides of the road are well marked in the correct place...I guess that other house just really likes the trail.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Yep the house with the double blazes is not the trail. You found the real trail at the tree and the creek crossing and that is good. Thanks for the report. We have a large group heading south from NT next weekend. Over 50 registered.

Biggest single hiking group in the history of the Trace. All leaving at the same time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: