Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 15 KY-77 to Caney Creek-21.3 miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Day 15 KY-77 to Caney Creek-21.3 miles Reply with quote

Day 15 KY-77 to Caney Creek (21.3 miles)

After a peaceful rest day of catching up on office work, I was back on the trail early on Tuesday morning. I had a little over 62 miles to go. The day before, I downloaded all my GPS tracks and put together a map of what I had done and what I had left to do. I think this is when it hit me what I had actually done. I had hiked over 248 miles! That’s crazy!!!

The day started off with a short road walk and the trail soon turned off onto an old logging/ATV trail. After a quick jaunt through the woods with a couple of creek fords, I came up on a road. I knew it was only for a few miles so I didn’t worry too much about the dogs. But I did have a friendly black lab follow me for about a mile until the trail went back up into the woods to a section of the hike that was grossly over blazed for the first mile. Sometimes I would see three blazes at once and oftentimes two trees would be blazed that were directly across from each other on the trail with a third blaze ten feet further down. The further I hiked in, though, the blazes started to disappear. By this time, I had come to expect this for it seemed it happened on many sections of the Sheltowee. With the maze of ATV trails and areas that had recently been logged, the trail was difficult to navigate but I managed with my GPS.

I soon was back on pristine trail that was well marked and ended the day just past Caney Creek. Throughout the night I listened to the deer calling out to each other. I began to wonder exactly when do deer sleep? They seem to be out and about at all hours. Once I heard a strange shuffle next to my tent and I turned on my iTunes to drown out the noise. If I didn’t hear it, it didn’t exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Chester's Thru-Hike All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: