Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bikepacking Sheltowee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to revisit this?

Matt's running of the Sheltowee this July has me inspired. I had somehow previously missed this thread and had thrown out my own query along these lines that seemed to have gone unanswered.

I'm the new "president" of the new East Chapter of KyMBA. We're going to be working on getting the chapter up and running this fall, and one of my main projects is to develop the ST and MTBing alternate routes for a good solid thru-biking experience.

This is going to take a lot of help, especially in getting the existing trail, where rideable, into good condition (cutting downed trees, briars, weeds, etc.) but I think the MTB community of Kentucky can get this done and we can have a showpiece that can rival trails in the West.

If any of you are interested please email me at ascentionist @ yahoo.com

I'm in the process of planning my own thru-bike bikepacking bid of the ST, but am looking at sometime in 2014 as I have overcommitted myself with bike and running events in 2013.

chuckc1971
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I was the original poster and would be glad to help plan and do this thru-ride with you in 2014. I have some recon not already posted. Shoot me an e-mail at: chuckc1971ATinsightbbDOTcom
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not forgotten, though I was ready to give it all up: http://pavementsedge.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-dream-of-big-turtles.html

I don't know what the proposed plan is for rerouting the Trace through Morehead, but like I touch on in my post I hope the trail isn't simply rerouted out of the woods to benefit downtown Morehead without a thought for the overall character of the trail.

Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colorado Trail goes through six wilderness areas. Colorado Trail thru-bikers have to detour around each one of these wilderness areas. When I hiked the CT this summer none of the thru-bikers complained about the reroutes. It gave them a chance to do some easy miles, visit towns and resupply.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reroute is going through downtown, because that is the safest and less complicated route to get through Morehead. Giving businesses more opportunity is just a side-effect. We are working to cut road miles and eliminate the dangerous section on US 60 so that is why we choose the route. We also only had one option to get back into the DBNF since the local landowners were not interested in letting us cross their land. We believe it will be a great change and addition to the experience. We are looking for the DBNF to clear the paperwork and get the reroute done by spring.

Feel free to email me if you have questions. director@sheltoweetrace.org

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several more one and two night mtb trips under my belt now. On a big ol ti 9r with tubeless tires. I'd love to try this again, or even just a section or two. In warm months, I'm carrying my kit in a daypack nowadays.
mmeiser
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

Am curious what the current state of the trail is. Considering a January trip on the Salsa Fargo or Mukluk. No stranger to adventure having done 1500 miles on the eastern divide in january and the western divide in september in previous years.

I don't care weather i'm hike-a-biking or doing some carrying or what not. The primary thing for me is just being out there. The biggest issue it looks like is I really need data on what is and isn't open to biking.

Any information along these lines would be most helpful.

Thankyou.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up Reply with quote

mmeiser wrote:
The biggest issue it looks like is I really need data on what is and isn't open to biking.

Can't bike in the state parks or Red River Gorge Geological Area. I think you can only hike on the JMT-ST in the Big South Fork, but horses use it all the time.

PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of what a fargo and Mukluk are (old age) but I would'nt recommend a gravel bike or cross bike for the Trace in January. It's likely to be muddy enough. (that being said, they would be nice on the grave and pavement sections). The Trace offers some very varied terrain. I'd go with my fav all purpose mtb.
kelly
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: bikepacking Reply with quote

mmessinar Have you finished your tour, if so I would like to get some info. I would like to thru ride some or all of the trail this spring.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,

We (STA) just assisted a mountain biker from Northern Ohio who was attempting to ride the legal sections of the Trace on a Fat Tire Bike. He was given alternate routes around the closed sections. He made it to McKee before running out of time.

This is a real challenge in so many ways given the "ride-arounds" that you have to use to get on and off the Trace.

Still if you want to give it a try let us (STA) know. Happy to give you the same info we gave him.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets work on some legitimate detours. Horses need this too.

There are other long trails that you can bike the majority of the trail with minimal or reasonable detours. On the Trace the detours are onerous.

Maybe it's time to rally some support to improve conditions for all non motorized users on the Sheltowee.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. But we have some distinct issues with the Trace traveling through two state parks that are not bike friendly. Mike Miser is going to let us know what he did in the way of alternate routes other than state and county roads.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've figured out how to get a detour around natural bridge that only cuts out a mile or so of the actual trace. Legitimately.

What is the other state park? Cumberland Falls?

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Cumberland Falls. There are plenty of Forest Roads that you can use to go around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: