Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 day hike from Cave Run dam to NT- is it feasible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmyfinder
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: 3 day hike from Cave Run dam to NT- is it feasible? Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm planning on going on a 3 day hike with two of my friends over the MLK day weekend. I have hiked from Morehead to Dry Branch solo as well as the entirety of the Cave Run section with a group. I was wondering if it would be feasible/advisable to follow the following schedule:

Saturday morning-evening: Cave Run dam (not sure of the official name... It's a flat rocky area near a dam with an entrance to the trail, I used it before going southbound) to Eagle Lake (16 miles)

Sunday morning-evening: Eagle Lake to Dry Branch Creek (13 miles, may go further if we want to hike less on Monday)

Monday morning-afternoon: Dry Branch to NT (8 miles)

Really just want to know if this is doable for 3 guys as far as the terrain, mileage, etc. I'm a Marine and we have an Eagle Scout, so I trust the group and know these guys. I'm a little worried that the mileage may be too much for the other two, especially since we can't afford to get off schedule. I know going from Eagle Lake to Dry Branch isn't too bad- I know we follow that gravel road for what seems like forever before getting on that logging trail, and it's seemingly mostly down hill. How is the terrain from Dry Branch on? How is the terrain coming NOBO from Cave Run?

I understand that there's a stretch where we follow US 60 and then get on Bluestone Road into Morehead. Is the portion on US 60 and Bluestone Road actually done on the road, or on trails off the road? How long does this usually take to pass through? Obviously we don't want to spend much time there since it's only a three day hike. Am I missing much if I travel up Skaggs Rd/Forest Hill Drive to get back to the 'trail' portion of the trail?

I'd appreciate any other advice you would like to give, especially in dealing with the cold!
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JimmyFinder,

That's completely doable. You might check the reroute of the ST through Morehead. You'll no longer go onto US 60 and Bluestone.

If you find the first day was too much, you can always grab a motel in Morehead. Smile

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/hike

http://www.outragegis.com/store/catalog/Sheltowee-Trace-North-Trail-Map-p-3219785.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: