Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Report - FS Road 457 to Lamero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Trip Report - FS Road 457 to Lamero Reply with quote

We are a couple of hikers from central Kentucky, ages 52 and 62, who have been covering sections of the ST over the past few years with the goal of finishing it next year.

Our trip began with a drive to London on Tuesday, Nov 1. On the way we scouted some of the areas near roads for potential campsites. In Hazel Patch we visited the site of the camp where confederate forces prepared their assault on Camp Wildcat back in 1861. The area has been preserved and is the site of a reenactment every year in October. The Laurel Home Guard, based in London, maintains the area. Luckily for us we met Henry Smith, the vice president of that group, in Hazel Patch where he was doing some maintenance around the entrance. He invited us to camp there when we came through two days later. That chance meeting saved us from a potentially miserable night of camping which I’ll discuss later. I don’t know if other ST hikers have camped there or if we were just lucky to meet the right person and get permission. If you are considering camping there I suggest first contacting someone through their website, www.wildcatreenactment.org. I’m sure a donation would help.

Our plan was to have Rockcastle Adventures (phone: 606-864-9407) meet us at the Super 8 motel in London. Our vehicle was to be used to take us to the trailhead then Jim Honchell, the owner of Rockcastle Adventures, was to take it back home with him. Two days later he left the vehicle at Lamero at noon, in time for us to finish our hike around 2:30. The plan worked perfectly. Jim is a robust 75 year old who is a part of ST lore. He told us about shuttling Johnny Molloy around the trail when Molloy was researching his classic ST trail guide. He remembered the author’s legs being covered with chigger bites. (NOTE: The new trail guide by Scot Ward is more up to date and has much more detail. We referred to it many times. Purchase it through the ST Association.)

NOV 2 -- We left from the trailhead at Forest Service Road 457, just north of Cane Creek Wildlife Management Area. The skies were clear and sunny. It was an unremarkable day of hiking on a not-very-hilly trail that is shared with horseback riders. Our only problem was that few of the new trail markers were present. I got the impression that many had been removed but I might be wrong. There were a few confusing areas that we worked our way through with the trail guide, our GPS, and the old, faded trail markers. A beautiful stream side campsite at N 37* 05.6804, W 084* 15.0592 was very trashy and would be a worthwhile weekend cleanup project for a trail crew or some Boy Scouts. At the end of the day we camped along Poison Honey Fork about .6 mile south of route 80. Campsites are not mentioned in this area in Ward’s trail guide but this particular site was ideal -- flat and next to water (N 37* 09.2348, W 084* 14.4118). Another very large and flat site, also on the creek, was not far north from this one. It could accommodate a dozen tents.

One problem with late fall backpacking is the short days and long nights. We didn’t build a fire so instead we just went to bed at 7:30 and vowed to get an early start.

NOV 3 -- Ten hours of sleep is plenty for us so we got up before dawn and broke camp with our headlamps on. I had been looking forward to this day because it featured the bridge at Hawk Creek that I had read about and seen many times in photos. In addition we were going to cross the notorious Cromer Ridge off-road vehicle area, which Molloy likened to Mars and thoroughly disparaged in his book. We knew there was a 60% chance of rain. Nevertheless we launched into another sunny morning. Hawk Creek and the suspension bridge were every bit as nice as I expected, a good place for a break. Clouds started forming around noon so we hurried along to avoid being stuck in Molloy’s “Mars” in the rain. The land on the ridge is as messed up as you might expect in an ATV area but there was little trash. We had some difficulty finding trail markers but it was not a major problem. Just keep bearing left and you’ll find them. About 1/2 mile from the Spur Oil truck stop at I-75 we donned our rain gear as the rain worsened. We hung out at the truck stop for about an hour, enjoying the menu offerings and trucker ambiance. Eventually we gave up hope of outlasting the rain, put on our rain gear again and splashed our way to Hazel Patch where a nice overhang awaited us. The overhang is attached to a barn used to store stuff for the reenactments in October. Firewood and other paraphernalia stored under the overhang left us with just enough room to comfortably sit so we waited for a break in the rain and put up the tent nearby. There was also a clean Porta-Potty. We had a relaxing evening and were well rested despite the almost hourly trains that passed only about 100 yards from our tent. Their screeches and blasting horns reverberated through the valley all night long. Earlier in the evening I got my first look at my swollen and bruised right ankle. It had been twisted the day before when I stepped into a grass-covered automobile wheel rut. It didn’t hurt when I walked on it so I assumed there was no reason to abort our trip. 800 milligram ibuprofen is my new trail buddy.

NOV 4 -- We awoke at 6AM to the sound of another train. The rain had continued off and on all night up to 5 AM. We left before sunrise to tackle the steep walk up the narrow gravel road to Wildcat Mountain. At the top are an information pavilion and a memorial that are excellently done and very well maintained. Plan on spending some time there reading the interpretive signs. We met and chatted with several men who belong to the Camp Wildcat Preservation Foundation, a group of dedicated volunteers who oversee the area. Past the pavilion, heading north, there is a lot of ridge walking, mostly on forest roads and paved roads. Before reaching route 490 there is a decent stretch of forest trail which ends at the creek mentioned in Ward’s trail guide. When we crossed it the water was only a couple of inches above our ankles despite the previous day’s rain. About 1 1/2 miles north on 490 we crossed the bridge over the Rockcastle River, turned left and retrieved our vehicle at the nearby cemetery.

Throughout this hike I had a sharp, intermittent mild pain in my left groin which was relieved with pressure. I suspected a hernia and after returning home learned that my diagnosis was correct. It came at a perfect time as there are no further trips planned until February. I should have my 62 year old frame whole again for the next ST segment in the spring. Only 60 more miles to go!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip report. You didn't mention any blockages or trees down in this section?

We will see if we can get a volunteer or two out to reblaze this section. Sure they were stolen since I know this was done two years ago.

Thanks again. Glad it worked out.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve I will say there are some trees down on cromers ridge mostly towards 4094 it looks like the Forest service has put them there to block the 4x4 but they could use some help to make them more passable...

We have cleared almost all the trees that can be cleared using a hand chainsaw if I remember right we have clear over 25 trees in this section. One of the best sections IMO...
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were occasional trees across the trail but nothing that wasn't easily passed. These were large trees in most cases -- 12 to 18 inches. The trail crews have done a super job keeping the trail cleared and marked. BTW there was one tree still standing beside the trail with three trail markings on it -- from top to bottom they were the old painted turtle, a painted white diamond and one of the old aluminum white diamonds. It was like a trail marker museum. Unfortunately I didn't get the coordinates. Thanks for your efforts in behalf of the ST.
Faustino
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting report. 25 trees cleared - that's a good result

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good experience you have going through. The most basic thing is to do that everything which is there and keeps it all in a decent manner.
So yeah sticking to its functionalists and growing lets us help ourselves with the growth and at the same time sticks to a better way out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: