Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FKT attempt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtlewings
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: FKT attempt Reply with quote

Attempting to run/trek the Trace in 7 days or under beginning July 7th. Did a recon trip from the N. Terminus to Morehead last week, and the first 10 or so miles are a little overgrown. but made it pretty easily under 5 hours in the middle of the day. Anyone know of any closed sections or areas that are particularly difficult to navigate at the moment? Also wondering if anyone has any experience stashing gear at or near the 49er. As it stands, that is my only night that I'll be unsupported. So, it's not a thru hike, as I'll only be running with provisions to make it through each day. Even staying at the lodge at Natural Bridge on day 2 - cushy!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be the first to run the Trace.. Good stuff. Good luck. Not sure the reference to 49er. Is that mean mile 249 since you are going north - south?

Good luck. Can you email me your info so we can follow along?

director@sheltoweetrace.org

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: 49er Reply with quote

Got from your blog that 49er is exit 49 at I-75 crossing. Hiding food is possible but store in bear container is required.

You will need to plan on extra time through Kromer Ridge about three miles. this area has been shut down to all but walkers for reforestation. There are a series of trees down blocking the Trace with trenches in between the trees. Sort of a steeplechase for runners.

traildust.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

Did you know we moved the Southern Terminus from Pickett SP to Leatherwood Trail Head in the BSF? It is right on the road into the Park. You go past it on the way driving to Pickett. This adds another day to your run I think.

Steve "Traildust"

turtlewings
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Steve. Yeah, I've just heard about the new Southern terminus. 30 miles or so right? Is it mapped anywhere online. Basically, I'm carrying maps of all the sections printed from this site with notations on them taken from Scot Wards guidebook. Really appreciate the encouragement, going to join the facebook group now so I might be able to get some updates out while I'm out there.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlewings and everyone following this effort. Yep we can send you a copy of the Big South Fork Map to carry. The trail is marked with Turtle blazes. There should be a written sign at the intersection of the Sheltowee Spur and where you turn to go on the JMT.

Thanks for becoming a supporting member Matt.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt is off from NT on Sunday with no issues. He should be at Natural Bridge tonight. When we have an update we will post.

traildust

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were seen yesterday afternoon on US 60 heading to Triplett Creek crossing in Morehead.

traildust

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted!

This is pretty freakin' cool!

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with him yesterday afternoon and he was heading toward Turkeyfoot doing the road walk run down to Heidelberg. Feels ok. No serious issues. Did make a wrong turn or two but nothing serious.

Will keep folks posted.

traildust

turtlewings
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days on the trail, and I was home nursing an infected toe. Great trip though. The existing FKT stands. I've posted about my four days with lots of photos:

http://matthoyesrunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/sheltowee-trace-thru-running-attempt.html
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to another attempt in the future. thanks for the effort and the exposure of many folks to Ky's Long Trail.

traildust

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Hoyes is at it again! He's four days in and should be to Wildcat to tonight
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us posted on Matt's progress.

Gene
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days: http://matthoyesrunning.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-big-turtle.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: