Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern map section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Northern map section Reply with quote

Just wondering how the map of the northern half of the Sheltowee is coming along???
kblinn
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern map section Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
Just wondering how the map of the northern half of the Sheltowee is coming along???

______
Wow.... I would love to participate in the making of it if it is still in the initial phase? Please advise.
Many thanks!

Katie

Last edited by kblinn on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie, There is no word on the printing of this map so far. They had hope to print in time for last Christmas but apparently there has been quite a delay.
kblinn
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
Katie, There is no word on the printing of this map so far. They had hope to print in time for last Christmas but apparently there has been quite a delay.

_________
Thank you for responding.
If you happen to hear anything regarding this, please keep me posted.

Map of Vegas Strip

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with the creators and they are going to print this map and have it ready for purchase this Spring (hopefully May but not sure exact date). We will post its availabililty here, and on our other media sources like Facebook, Twitter etc.

Steve Barbour
Executive Director
STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
gagagopher
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been so long since I've actually attempted to use a map since the GPS became part of my life. This summer I'm going to take my son camping on the Sheltowee trail and I'm also thinking about taking him to a National Park in West Virgina. There doesn't happen to be any White Water Rapids close to Sheltowee Trace in the section located in Tennessee?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info on white water trips near the Sheltowee Trace contact the Sheltowee Trace Outfitters. They have a facebook page and website with info.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
KYkamper
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Northern Map Reply with quote

Has the map of the Northern section been completed??? I have seen the outrage gis maps for the southern section which seems well documented but have not seen any map packs for the northern section other than the downloadable topo ones. I really like how easy to use the outrage ones are and if they are available would much rather have those than 20 downloaded low quality maps. Also where can I purchase the sheltowee guidebook??? I am planning an end to end at the end of July and want to be ready.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Map Reply with quote

KYkamper wrote:
Has the map of the Northern section been completed??? I have seen the outrage gis maps for the southern section which seems well documented but have not seen any map packs for the northern section other than the downloadable topo ones. I really like how easy to use the outrage ones are and if they are available would much rather have those than 20 downloaded low quality maps. Also where can I purchase the sheltowee guidebook??? I am planning an end to end at the end of July and want to be ready.

The Southern section map is out of date now since the ST has been extended to Leatherwood Ford in Big South Fork.

you can buy the guide book here http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Trading_Post.html

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: New Maps Reply with quote

Talked with Boyd the map maker and we are looking at Fall of this year for the new maps. They will be larger formatted maps with one sheet for the North and one for the South. Working on the details now. We will most likely take preorders for the maps in August - September time frame. Anticipate the cost to still be $15.00 per map maybe less. Stay tuned.

The ST guide will be update this Fall or Winter for 2014.

KYkamper
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Southern section map is out of date now since the ST has been extended to Leatherwood Ford in Big South Fork.

Is there an official sign at the southern teriminus to mark the new ending of the Sheltowee? I want to do the whole thing end to end and not get it wrong at the end of my journey.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no official sign at either end of the Sheltowee. We are working on that issue. Right now the south end is at the parking lot at the foot of the bridge as you come out of the woods onto the road. There is a marker sign for Leatherwood.
KYkamper
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best set of maps to get for the northern section? I have the Outrage GIS maps for the southern section but it ends in Jackson County at Midpoint Mckee. Where can I get the Northern Maps? Can someone post a link?

Also I have seen a lot of talk about the new southern Terminus trailhead but I cannot figure out where it is. Does it follow the John Muir trail until it connects to the sheltowee? Is there a map with it labeled correctly? If so is there a link or where can I get it?

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps are coming. We think by the STA Conference September 28th we will have available North Map and then shortly after south map. They are basically larger sheets replacing the small maps. More details at the STA Annual Trace Conference September 28th in Morehead and on the webpages Facebook and here at about the same time .

Traildust
aka Steve Barbour, Executive Director of STA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: