Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Erosion Reply with quote

Trail care and maintenance on the Sheltowee is being organized by the Sheltowee Trace Association. Traildust and many others are investing hard hours and devoting significant resources to trail maintenance. It is heartening to see this organization create a community of caring people who are willing to sweat and sacrifice because they share a common vision of the enviromental and recreational asset the Sheltowee Trace could be.

However, until the DBNF district rangers and supervisor decide to share the common vision with us, we will be fighting to clear trails which are disappearing due to trail erosion. Nothing erodes like those hardwood slopes with sandy soil and the FS seems always ready to do absolutely nothing to prevent or reverse it. I have very serious concerns about stream bed loading from the sediment run off in sections of the Sheltowee Trace like Corner Ridge (draining into Gladie Creek in the Clifty Wilderness). I'm also concerned that hikers come to the Sheltowee Trace only to find themselves slogging ankle deep through mud troughs in the area of White Sulfur Horse Camp and Caney.

What bothers me most about the trail is the overt neglect it suffers from the federal government. And no, they do not get by with the excuse that the economy is bad and we don't have enough money in the budget for maintenance of the ST. They have always ignored it and have given it no consideration when it comes to logging projects (go visit Morehead ST section from Hwy 32 to Big Perry), road projects, and just simple erosion prevention strategies.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Erosion Reply with quote

weeanme wrote:

What bothers me most about the trail is the overt neglect it suffers from the federal government.

While we were out with forest service personnel at the Holly Fork section the other day, the district ranger commented about the condition of the trail from the northern terminus to Morehead. As many may know the ice storms had severely blocked the trail in that area. The forest service didn't put resources into clearing it because there was a perception that there was very little use of that section of the trail.

The fact that forest service personnel came out to Holly Fork is an indication that they are know getting the perception that people are interested in the Sheltowee Trace and those interested people are willing to spend time and money to improve and maintain the trail. As we are entering our 4th year as an association with continued activity and promotion of the Sheltowee Trace, the FS is coming more on board with helping us. By their own comments, they are beginning to belive in us.

This indicates to me that things will get better over time.

In the future though there will be spending cuts in many federal and state programs that had benefitted trails and other recreational venues. As this happens it will become more important for us as private citizens to provide for the care and improvement of the trails we want.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we need to keep a fire built under them on the erosion problems they created by poor route selection and pure neglect over the years. I read the trails report and I believe it would be very important to distribute to the members of the association so they get an overall view of the extent of the erosion issue. Constantly referring to the recommendations in the report will be a starting point for objective discussions about devoting some resources to the Sheltowee Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the trail report. I have heard that there is some criticism of the trail route. Having not seen the specifics I am guessing that there may be little that can be done about the route in specific locations, especially if it involves the trail location on private property. There should be more latitude in places where the trail is on federal land. One thing that we are learning as the association works with the forest service is that even what would seem to be a relatively small change can present many challenges due to the plethora of regulations that must be met to make changes, even if the changes are highly desirable and agreed to by the forest service.

As I understand your discussion points, this is something that needs to be part of our strategic plan which is in the process of being developed.

Certainly in the short term we need to identify areas on the trail, as it exists, that need repair and protection and then get that work done.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a cool head and good composure jbd. Required in a good leader. I know that coming across a 1/2 mile stretch of brown gulch that was once the trail disturbs you as much as it does me. The degree to which stream degradation and soil erosion disturbs our district rangers is another question entirely. I'm only speaking about the sections of the trail that cross our common federal lands. Some of these trails need complete re-route and some must be designated as off limits to horses. The trail cannot withstand the hammering its getting in some areas, or at least it cannot withstand it as a footpath. I nominate the 2 mile section that descends into Gladie from Corner Ridge parking area as a prime example of complete incompetence when it comes to federal resource management. I would love to see a study of how many hundreds of tons of sediment and rock have eroded from the "trail" into Gladie Creek.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliment. The section that you are referring to,Corner Ridge to Gladie creek, is one that I have not hiked yet. I have been to the Corner Ridge parking lot just to locate it. I ma hoping to hike it this year if at all possible. Probably after we get some work done in areas north of Morehead.

I would agree that there are areas that need to be off limits to anything other than foot travel unless the trail is either re-routed or hardened such that it can stand heavier use. There are some spots that in my opinion should not be traveled even by hikers when the soil is as wet as it is now. We were just on such a section the other day south of Holly Fork. At that site I feel we need a switch back put in to make it passable via foot let alone horses, bikes or ATV's.

There is need for improvement all along the Sheltowee Trace and it is my sincerest hope that as an association we will get it done through the efforts and generosity of our members and partners.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a chance to get a look at the trail report on FS website
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not been to the FS site. I am hoping to go to the section starting at Corner Ridge before mid April. Will try to read the trail report before I go.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been to the FS website and read at least part of the report, 55 pages so far. It does contain good explanation of how the soils, the terrain and the impact of various user groups creates erosion problems throughout the region around Cave Run lake. The report highlights how various methods have been used to create the trails. Most of these methods have been poorly if at all thought out.

The other thing that caught my attention in the portion I have read is the shortfall in funding that has been provided to the FS. This is something I don't think will change especially in the next 10 years. Another issue was the lack of manpower with in the FS to actually do anything near what the report says needs to be done. This again is something I don't see as changing in the next 10 years.

The report indicated that the initial plans for the trails around Cave Run lake were actually dependent on volunteer organizations to shoulder a good part of the manpower and some part of the financial burden of maintaining the trail systems. According to the report there is no evidence that this has happened. I agree until recent years with the formation of the Sheltowee Trace Association and the efforts of the Ky Horse Council.

The report indicates that substantial capital expenditures will need to be made to correct the issues with the trail system around Cave Run lake. I doubt seriously that will happen in the next 10 years.

The report most specifically targets the trails around Cave Run lake of which the Sheltowee Trace is only a small part of. The Sheltowee Trace, as whole sytem of its own, faces many of the same issues. The solution as I see it will be through the efforts of individuals willing to donate 4 to 8 hours per month of trail work and or make monetary donations that will range from $5.00 to $200.00 for the most part. There may be some larger donations or grants but they will be few and far between. It will be the small but dedicated, consistent donations of time and money that will make the difference in repairing and improving the Sheltowee Trace.

Hopefully I will get through the rest of the report over the next few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: