Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Sheltowee ReTrace '08?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> jonaharalia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonaharalia
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Hello Sheltowee ReTrace '08? Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sheltowee enthusiasts,

If I had to do it over again (ReReTrace), I would make sure the Heidelberg food drop works out or stock up for a few days at the general stores on the road walk north of Heidelberg or at Natural Bridge for the leg to Morehead.

The navigation aids we used were 33 topographic downloads from this site, GPS with tracks loaded (thank you!), Johnny Molloy's mileage table photocopied, and Daniel Boone maps (southern, central, and northern). The marking (plastic diamond with Sheltowee turtle design) were abundant in poor places mostly like Cromer Ridge. Still the ST needs better junction markings, at turns or where it merges with forest service roads or paved roads. Overall the markings were very good.

The section north of 64 is still in need of work although we are very appreciative of the crew who cleared all those downed logs. General brush clearing is in dire need in many parts of the Trace, although the route is passable in these parts. Poison Ivy is a major problem, worse than bears, and be careful of deer ticks in the southern Trace.

There are three shelters along the Trace. In case of rain, there are options for cover at the campgrounds and a few picnic awnings like the one at Holly Bay.

Sincerely,

John "Sassafras" Ryan
aka John Aralia or Knit
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonaharalia,

Congrats on your trip and what a fantastic read. Sounds like you had a good trip, except for a few cold nights and the ever creeping Poison I. The state park buffets are the bomb.

You call it the ReTrace, but did I miss where you tried the first time?

Boyd

nikki71
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Sheltowee ReTrace '08? Reply with quote

[quote="jonaharalia"]Hello fellow Sheltowee enthusiasts,

If I had to do it over again (ReReTrace), I would make sure the Heidelberg food drop works out or stock up for a few days at the general stores on the road walk north of Heidelberg or at Natural Bridge for the leg to Morehead.

The navigation aids we used were 33 topographic downloads from this site, GPS with tracks loaded (thank you!), Johnny Molloy's mileage table photocopied, and Daniel Boone maps (southern, central, and northern). The marking (plastic diamond with Sheltowee turtle design) were abundant in poor places mostly like Cromer Ridge. Still the ST needs better junction markings, at turns or where it merges with forest service roads or paved roads. Overall the markings were very good.

The section north of 64 is still in need of work although we are very appreciative of the crew who cleared all those downed logs. General brush clearing is in dire need in many parts of the Trace, although the route is passable in these parts. Poison Ivy is a major problem, worse than bears, and be careful of deer ticks in the southern Trace.

There are three shelters along the Trace. In case of rain, there are options for cover at the campgrounds and a few picnic awnings like the one at Holly Bay.

Sincerely,

John "Sassafras" Ryan
aka John Aralia or Knit[/quote]

Is all theses trails horse ridable.... My husband and I would love to take these trails by horseback.... We rode the Barren fork horse camp trails and it was beautiful this past weekend and would love to take the trails from Morehead area past Barren fork into the Tennessee area.....next spring

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only some sections of the Sheltowee Trace are open to horse riders. Most of those are in the southern parts of the trail I think plus some trails near Cave Run lake.
nikki71
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jbd"]Only some sections of the Sheltowee Trace are open to horse riders. Most of those are in the southern parts of the trail I think plus some trails near Cave Run lake.[/quote]

Thanks....My husband and I work through the week, but we would like to help clean out trails if needed also... we have weekends we could help especially the ones where he could ride on horse back.....we can volunteer on weekends if needed, besides it would be a treat to come and help to see where we could and couldn't ride.... so we are here if needed....and can help Gps in some if needed....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> jonaharalia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: