Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip report day 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Trip report day 3 Reply with quote

It must have slipped my mind but somewhere before we reached the arch yesterday we lost our map. Sad

I slept pretty well last night. My eyes popped open promptly at 6:15, so I went ahead and started my day. My knee was not bothering me at this point and it faded from thought. I began the morning ritual of packing and rolling and stuffing, then went for the Dualist to heat water for our oatmeal. Again Boots was sleeping in. He had done very well up to this point and I am very proud of him. He has also been doing very well in school so I am not too concerned about the 2 days he missed. I wake him and begin to stir the boiling water into the oatmeal. Boots went with bananas and cream and I had the always delicious apples and cinnamon. We brushed our teeth and started to break camp. From what I remembered about the map it was going to be another long haul to the next water source so after some serious stretching we got after it without delay. As soon as we began to hike the pain in my knee was foremost on my mind again. The trail was well marked again and we tried to make some time on the relatively flat section of trail ahead of us. We reached a ridge top and experienced the best views we had seen so far. This part of our great country is so beautiful it almost looks like a painting. We took a moment from our day and enjoyed a snack and some much needed water with our view. We returned to the trail and began to navigate a few downhill switchbacks, each step was excruciating and I began to realize that it would be very difficult to finish our goal on time. Boots was beginning to fall behind even with my slower pace. We took plenty of breaks and began to ration what was left of the water. We crossed two gravel roads and at the second one there was a huge pile of trash, mostly beer and water bottles, but it was very ugly. Maybe someone had gathered them up and was coming back to get them. A More likely senario would be that the ATV riders or horseback riders discarded their trash without regard to the land or other users. It made me feel sad and I wished I could carry it all out, but that was just not possible. Anyway the sign said it was 5 miles to 1274 and I knew the water source was just beyond that point. Now the milage signs to this point seemed somewhat inaccurate to me, but I held out hope as we made our way straight up the rutted out ATV trail. It is amazing what these vehicles have done to the trail. It is like something out of a horror story. The land around us was beautiful so I tried to focus on that instead the pain in my knee or the pain of seeing the scars left behind on the trail. This 5 miles felt like 20. I kept pushing but it was increasingly obvious that I could not make it much further. I tried not to complain or talk about bailing out for the sake of keeping Boots focused but that was all I could think about. We finally saw the road long after we first heard the sound of cars in the distance. The trail seemed to empty out onto private property and we had to cut through someone's yard to reach the road. At this point we were out of water again so I talked Boots into knocking on someone's door to see if we could fill our containers from their hose. This is when it is great to have kids do the awkward things you don't want to do. Anyway a teenage boy came to the door and said we could fill up and gave us a Dr. Pepper to split. Man was that tasty! He explained that his "pawpaw" was going to be home soon and rushed us off so he wouldn't get fussed at. We thanked him and hit the hardtop looking for the trail blaze, which I never found. We walked for a half mile on the road and I gave in. I picked up the phone and called for a lift back to Cave Run and my trusty Corolla. We walked back to the trailhead where we got water and noticed that "Pawpaw" was home and we exchanged a wave. I was silently grateful for the water we got there just minutes before. We took our packs off and treated ourselves to a little jerky while we waited. Before long our ride pulled up. A very nice couple who chatted us up a little before suggesting lunch at a little mom and pop store. They recommended the double cheeseburger and we each ordered one. They were delicious and Boots decided to top it off with a peanut butter milkshake. We had a nice conversation and talked about the AT. I would like to do a section sometime and as I got into my car to drive home, I started trying to figure out where and when the next adventure would take place. See ya on the Trail!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I will post it to our website if you don't mind. People need to know. Sorry you seemed to loose the trail. My understanding was that there were no trail directional issues but I guess we need to check it out. Thanks. We are planning a hike in November and hopefully you and "boots" can join us.

Nice people Mike and Shelia!

steve "traildust"

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yes Mike and Sheila were super cool people. The trail was only Hard to find when we got to the road, (where we got picked up) there were no markers but I knew to go left, just not how far. On the hike back to the trailhead where they picked us up I saw blazes on the telephone poles so the north route seemed marked just fine. Maybe just an arrow at the road and one where you turn to get back on. Thanks again for everything, it was nice knowing we had a reliable resource out there. I will also be joining the STA as soon as possible. Please feel free to post the report on your website!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always happy to help fellow hikers.

Visit our website www.sheltoweetrace.org and click on membership page. there is an online application there. Be the first to try it will ya? You can send in payment or use PayPal.

Steve

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 12 yr old, and your report made me envious. I'm also a gearhead, but I doubt if I would make it a day with a 50lb kit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: