Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 2 Trip Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Day 2 Trip Report Reply with quote

Of course nature called at about 2am, but after that I slept straight through until at least 5. I was in and out for the next hour or so, just enjoying my new $400 Marmot sleeping bag. That just sounds ridiculous, but I have to say it is a nice morale boost when crashing on the ground. I guess we did a good job clearing underneath the tent because I awoke without too many sore spots, though my left knee was beginning to ache. I couldn't really get the pain pushed all the way out of the back of my mind.
Boots was still sleeping soundly and I began to look forward to some company. I remembered a moment from yesterday when I was hugging Boots as we watched a beautiful sun slip below the horizion. Whenever I see the sun drop out of view like that it reminds me of how temporary our lives are and of how important it is to actually feel happy on a day to day basis. Trips like these keep me happy and I am glad to have my son here to share it with. He may not fully appreciate it now but I feel that taking him camping and backpacking will help shape the man.
Well at this point Boots starts to stir and I remember the fact that we are still quite low on water. In retrospect I can't help but kick myself for not asking the people on horses if they could spare a little water. Maybe I could have scored a beer even. Now I'm reaching- still only 32oz of water back here on the ridge. We broke camp and decide to forgo a formal breakfast of instant oatmeal and opt for the Cliff Bar on the trail sort of experience. Not the optimal plan but I screwed up the water by about 1/2 gallon so it's the only option if we want to sip from our camelback bladders burried deep in our packs. My pack started at 50 lbs. and boots started with 23 lbs. So at least we are a little lighter without the added weight of a bunch of water or something stupid like that. This part of the Sheltowee Trace is void of places to filter water. We had 4.5 miles or so to Clear Creek where we plan to get more water and have a real meal. It was a very long 4.5 miles. The trail was mostly down hill and the growing pain in my knee was again foremost in my
mind. We finally walked upon a paved road and my map told me we were very close to our water source. We Had just finished the last of our water a half mile ago and decided to break out a couple of sticks of Juicy Fruit to whet the old whistle. As you probably already know Juicy Fruit is also a great morale booster. I learned this during a few awkward moments at Grateful Dead concerts. Anyway we made it to Clear Creek in the nick of time and filtered water mixing it with some Emergen-C. To supplement our inadequate breakfast. I soaked my feet in the cold water and realized how sore they had become, but no blisters! Props to Merrell because I had less than 40 miles on my new boots at the time. We decided on the veggie pizza pasta for lunch and I fired up the pocket rocket stove and broke out the dualist cook kit. I love camping gear. I must be the easiest person to buy Xmas gifts for. I like it all. Anyway lunch was delicious although Boots said it was a little spicy. We also enjoyed some ancient multi grain bread with all kinds of good stuff in it. We filled our camelbacks and continued down the trace toward the Clear Creek Furnace. The going was slow. I wrapped my knee with an ace bandage at lunch which helped a little but it was definitely on my mind. When we arrived at the furnace there were two mountain bikers there. These would be the only other people we would actually see on our journey. We chatted with them for a few before getting back on the trail. They said they were thinking of riding up to Natural Arch but as we made our way there it became apparent that they would not make it. The trail was "more difficult" and full of switchbacks. It was rough going. We began looking for a spot to set up camp and rest the bones. We came across a spot between 2 boulders that would do, but I talked Boots into pushing on a little more. It was worth it as Natural Arch came into view on our right. It was awesome. A small fire pit and plenty of flat area for the tent. I am not sure if you are supposed to camp under arches but there was a fire pit and we practiced low impact camping. I guess we didn't really need the tent, but I have a thing about stuff crawling on me while I try to get my rest. We built a nice fire and I tried out my new backpacking saw. Very nice but I realized the extra weight was probably not worth it. We decided on lasagna and more of that good bread for dinner. I kept the camelback on my knee most of the evening, which I figured couldn't hurt. The sun went down right on time as we were very tired and crawled into the tent and faded off to sleep. Boots was a little scared of the bears but I explained to him that they dont like arches and I thought we would be just fine. Many nice noises to relax the mind as the grip of everyday life loosened a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: