Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shaded Topo:Cave Run Lake to Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwaynefox
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Shaded Topo:Cave Run Lake to Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge Reply with quote

This is a pdf file of a shaded topography map showing the Sheltowee Trace from: Cave Run Lake through the Red River Gorge to Natural Bridge. The Sheltowee Trace in red was hand-drawn in when transposed from the more accurate pdf files that are available on the sheltoweetrace.com website. Because the ST is hand-drawn in, use at your own disgression, especially since I have only hiked the portion of the Sheltowee through the Red River Gorge. Come January 2007 that will change though because we'll be hiking most of the ST that is on the pdf. This is easier to read at quick glance than a non-shaded topo map if you don't care to know the exact elevation of the landforms.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking maps and thanks for sharing.

What program did you use to create them?

dwaynefox
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Source of Shaded Topo Maps Reply with quote

Boyd,

The shaded topo images came from this site...
http://kytcgis.ky.gov/his/viewer.htm

This site is VERY useful. You can even get satellite images and non-shaded topo maps once you zoom in far enough.

I took over 60 "print screen" captures, cropping them into squares, and pasting them together like a puzzle using a paint shop program (Paint Shop Pro). This took about 4 hours and tedious but the time spent was well worth it in the end. Then it took a few more hours to translate the topo maps showing the red trace of the ST off the sheltowee.com site into the red trace of the Sheltowee on the finished shaded topo map. The file size was huge so I had to compress it and make it pdf.

If you need a different section of the ST mapped like this, let me know what section and I could probably create one like it for that area if you can't figure it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: