Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV's @ Jackson County

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: ATV's @ Jackson County Reply with quote

(Disclaimer; our family currently owns three atvs. We don't get out on the Sheltowee very often, but we follow all the responsible useage guidlines when we travel.)

I think that the Sheltowee has about 35 miles of atv legal trail, and if I'm not mistaken, all of it is in Jackson County. We are atv legal from the trailhead at the Turkeyfoot campground to past the STree campground (going south). The trail in this section is unlike any other along the trace; it's wide, rutted, and often filled with mudholes. This is almost a special use area.

We see alot of atv useage at Stree, and many of the visitors are from out of state. As I've posted before, when a crowd of a dozen (or more) atv's head out, they expect to go as far as possible.

Reroutes around fallen trees remain a persistent problem. Due to the volume of traffic on the weekends, it only takes a few days for a massive (scarring) reroute to occur.

Here's what I'd love to see in Jackson county; a sweep of the atv legal section each Friday. I doubt if the Mckee work station could ever have the manpower, but it probably would'nt take more than a half day for one man on a atv with a chainsaw. Sweeps on Fridays would cure the weekend damage problem for sure.

I realize that this is highly unlikely, but it sure would be nice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Problems on the Trail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: