Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Corrections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhughes1982
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Map Corrections Reply with quote

This pertains to the Sheltowee south of 1363 and Yamacraw Bridge where the trace follows Rock Creek.

The OutraeGIS maps have the trail following roughly half this 3/4 a mile stretch along each side of Rock Creek. The trail crosses Rock Creek right after the junction of Grassy Fork and Rock Creek and stays between Rock Creek, the Cumberland and 1363 for about 1.2 miles before coming to the gravel road that goes down to the river and up to the road. The Nat. Geo maps have the Sheltowee Trace about 60 feet up on the hill along the east side of Grassy Creek and crossing Rock Creek upstream of Grassy Fork. (I have the old version with the mileage marked, the new version is the same as OutrageGIS.)

We came from Beech Grove Rd and Koger Arch north today. When you reach Grassy Fork the Sheltowee Trace crosses it 6 times. Right after the 6th cross you go over a bank and up to Rock Creek where you can see a brown wooden sign that says Rock Creek across the way. We waded across here. It was about 65 feet across and knee deep in spots. You could probably go downstream a bit to cross but there's probably not really a way around getting your feet wet.

This is a beautiful section with some huge boulders and a couple small waterfalls. Kroger arch is awesome and only 300 yards off a side trail of this section. We reblazed it today and other than a dozen or so downed trees it's really easy hiking and should be no confusion. The southern part follows a forest service road and then an abandoned forest service road. When you get down to Grassy Fork it follows an old railroad bed. There are a couple of abanded mine shafts and other historic sites such as the old K&T Railroad Bridge and the remains of an old coal tipple.

The only problems with the stretch is it would be very muddy during rains and many creek crossings (which is only a problem if you let it be) and the stretch spoken about above along 1363 has a lot of litter.

This is a great hike to take and a lot to see. About 1.4 miles north of Beech Grove and about 2.8 south of the Yamacraw bridge is a nice flat area with possible camping.

Last edited by mrhughes1982 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little map coloring to show the Rock Creek crossing. I'm not an artist, lol. Laughing

The red line is how the trail is marked on the outrageGIS map, the map in my Garmin 60cs, and another topo map I have.

The blue dotted line is how it is actually blazed going straight across Rock Creek as you come down the hill parallel to Grassy Fork. Then to the left and uphill to the old rail road bed.

The current section 35 Forest Service map shows the trail in between the red and blue.

The wide blue line represents Rock Creek and the South Fork River.

The red line crossing and the blue line crossing are about 1000 feet apart.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: