Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Molloy's directions to Bark Camp Creek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: John Molloy's directions to Bark Camp Creek Reply with quote

So I bought John Molloy's guidebook like a month ago and this past weekend was the first time I got a chance to use it. We went to Bark Camp Creek, which is only 20 minutes from my house, but his directions were really off. They weren't exactly wrong, but they took you the very VERY long way and would probably cost you about 45 minutes worth of travel time.

He directs you to get off the Northern London exit 41, which would take you down 25, through London, through Corbin (with a few turns because 25 no longer runs straight down Main Street and Main Street is now one way).

The BETTER way to go is get off Exit 25, the southern Corbin exit and if you're coming from the North you would turn right and go down Cumberland Falls Highway towards the falls. And if you're coming form the South you would turn left and follow the same. From there the directions are correct.

I just thought that I should post this just in case anyone wanted to go to Bark Camp Creek (it's a spectacular place). It'll give them more times in the woods and less on the road.

My dad wondered when John Molloy hiked the trails. He told me that the Interstate wasn't completed 'til the late 70s and used to end at London. So in the late 70s that would have been the best way to get to Bark Camp, but now its a very round-about inconvenient way. Just curious if anyone knew the logic behind his directions.
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, his book on the ST is horrible. there are several instances where an extra sentence or two of detail would save you a lot of hassle, lots of wrong/bad directions, etc. For those who have not bought the book, i would recommend saving your money.

oh and it is my understanding that he wrote the book in 2002. as far as his logic, yeah, i dunno... Question
SomeRandomGuy
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also not been very impressed with the book. Any suggestions for a better guide to the trace?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point his seems to be the best choice. A mid term goal for the Association is to put out a trail guide similar to the one's out there for the A.T. . Boyd's maps are also going to be a huge help.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible that he may have preferred to take the scenic route From what I can tell the book was published in 2004. He apparently hiked the trail in sections and may have written about the Bark Camp Creek from notes taken many years ago. Maybe the interstae wasn't completed or he may have been looking at some other stuff along the way.

I'm not aware of any other guides that are specific to the Sheltowee so this might be a good mid-term goal for our fledgling Association especially since Boyd and Vinny have already done so much valuable map work and taken so many photos of the trail.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: A Guide Book Reply with quote

I agree it can be a midterm goal for the Association but we will need help from all the members along the Trace, checking facts and details.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A Guide Book Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
.... we will need help from all the members along the Trace, checking facts and details.

I agree whole heartedly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: