Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail closed on Red River Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikerjoe
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Trail closed on Red River Gorge Reply with quote

I just finished backpacking in the Red River Gorge 5/3/09 and found the Sheltowee trace closed along Gladie Creek. The closing is due to a wildfire but should remain closed. Many "blowdowns" resulted from the ice storm and need to be cleared before the trail can be traversed safely. One section had so many trees down that we almost could not find the trail on the other side. This blowdown could not be hiked around due to the topography, we had to climb through it, over it and under it to get past. The Red River Gorge website does NOT show this trail closed so if you are traveling southbound you will come upon it from the Clifty Wilderness and have little alternative but to do a long detour along trails 239, 240 and road 715 to the suspension bridge or take 715 the opposite direction to trail 221, meeting the Sheltowee at Pigmalien Rock. I recomend you call the Forest Service for trail conditions before attempting this section!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I talked with a ranger at Gladie Center and they will check it out. They have had crews in the area because of the fire but no one noted any significant issues with blowdowns. They will get a back to us if they need help clearing this area.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: